The Most Common Causes of Serious Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents are often serious, leading to severe injuries and even death. This is because motorcycles lack the protective structure that passenger vehicles have. Specifically, motorcyclists are 27 times more likely than a passenger vehicle occupant to die in an accident. They also five times more likely to sustain injuries.*
There are several top causes of motorcycle accidents, which are as follows:
- Unsafely changing lanes: Drivers risk colliding with a motorcycle when he or she does not check his or her blind spots or fails to use a signal when changing lanes.
- Car doors: Several motorcycle accidents happen when a driver opens the door of their vehicle when parked, causing a motorcycle to collide with the vehicle.
- Driving at an excessive rate of speed: A major cause of accidents is due to speeding, which reduces a vehicle’s chance of seeing and responding to other drivers in time to prevent an accident.
- Driving while impaired: Drivers who are impaired cause serious and sometimes fatal accidents because their judgment and coordination is reduced due to alcohol and/or drugs.
- Splitting lanes: The practice of lane splitting is illegal in most states and presents dangers for motorcyclists, especially those who are inexperienced.
- Sudden stops. A driver who follows a motorcycle too close can cause serious rear-end collisions.
- Inexperienced motorcyclists: Inexperienced motorcyclists are much more likely to make unsafe moves on the road that comprises the safety of other motorists.
- Defective motorcycle parts: Defective or poorly designed motorcycles result in serious and sometimes fatal accidents.
- Dangerous road conditions: Crumbling pavement, debris, potholes and a lack of signage can cause a motorcyclist to lose control of his or her vehicle.
- Inclement weather: Poor weather conditions such as heavy rain, snow, ice, sleet and dense fog reduce a motorcyclist’s visibility, potentially leading to an accident.
Learn How Montlick and Associates Can Assist You in Pursuing Justice
Have you suffered injuries because of the negligence of a commercial driver and the indifference of a trucking company? We invite you to call us to schedule a Free Consultation. Our clients can benefit from peace of mind and focus on getting better while we fight on their behalf to obtain justice get them through this difficult time in their lives. We offer a Free Consultation, so call Montlick and Associates, Attorneys at Law, nationwide 24/7 at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) to arrange a free consultation. You can also contact us by dialing #WIN (#946) from your cell phone (with most carriers) submit a Free Case Evaluation or utilize our 24-hour live chat service at www.Montlick.com.