The Most Common Ways You Can Avoid a Motorcycle Accident
According to the National Highway Safety Administration, 80 percent of all motorcycle accidents cause serious and sometimes fatal injuries. This makes it extremely important to take all steps necessary to keep yourself safe when biking, the top six of which are as follows:
- Wear a full face helmet that is approved by the United States Department of Transportation. Make sure the helmet is brightly colored for maximum visibility. Without a helmet, a rider is two times as likely to suffer a traumatic brain injury in the event of an accident.
- Wear clothing that is thick and protective, such as leather pants and jackets. It is also prudent to wear gloves, eye protection and hearty boots that cover your ankles.
- Wear brightly colored clothing and make sure you add reflectors to your clothing as well as your motorcycle. Also be sure to use your headlight, whether it is at night or not.
- Ride your bike in area of a roadway lane where you are the most visible. One of the leading causes of motorcycle accidents is drivers simply not seeing the motorcyclist in their vicinity. If you think a driver of a passenger vehicle does not see you, honk your horn to alert them as to your presence.
- Always be alert. Distracted driving is extremely prevalent, leading to serious and sometimes fatal accidents. This is why as a motorcyclist, you should always be on the alert for a driver who suddenly changes lanes or swerves. Also watch out for potholes, railroad tracks and other roadway hazards.
- Be careful at intersections. According to nationwide statistics, half of all motorcycle accidents happen at intersections. A motorist going left in front of you is quite possibly the main cause of these accidents at intersections.
Put Our Law Firm's Over 37 Years Of Legal Experience To Work For Your Case!
If you have been injured by any type of accident caused by someone else's negligence, call Montlick & Associates, Attorneys at Law for your free consultation today. Montlick & Associates, Attorneys at Law has been representing those who suffer serious injuries for over 37 years.
No matter where you are located our attorneys are just a phone call away, and we will even come to you. Call us 24 hours day/7 days a week for your Free Consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333). You can also visit us online at www.montlick.com and use our Free Case Evaluation Form or 24-hour live chat.