A Look at the Damages Sustained in a Georgia 18 Wheeler Accident
Commercial truck accidents will often result in serious injuries and physical damage to your vehicle. Following any truck accident, victims may sustain a wide variety of damages, many linked to physical injuries and others related to property damage. It is essential that truck accident victims obtain the assistance of an experienced truck accident attorney who will uncover the extent of your damages and seek full compensation for all damages incurred.
Compensation for damages stemming from the accident can be divided into two basic categories: economic and non-economic. Punitive damages (damages to punish) are also recoverable in limited truck accident cases.
Economic Truck Accident Damages
Economic truck accident damages are designed to compensate injured victims for their monetary losses associated with a truck accident, including:
- Current medical expenses: Current medical expenses may include fees for emergency room treatment, surgery, hospital care, follow up appointments, and assistive devices. In a serious truck accident, your medical expenses can be quite high.
- Future medical expenses: In many cases, truck accident victims will sustain injuries that require continued medical treatment. Future medical expenses can include additional surgeries, medication, follow up appointments, and the like.
- Lost wages: Many truck accident victims will miss time at work due to their injuries. Those seriously injured may not be able to return to work for some time, and could even permanently be unable to return to their previous position. The law permits truck accident victims to seek compensation for their wages lost when they are temporarily unable to work because of their injuries.
- Loss of earning capacity: If a victim cannot return to work, his or her ability to earn a living may be compromised due to the accident. The court will consider the victim's past wages as well as training in order to quantify loss of earning capacity.
Non-economic Truck Accident Damages Damages
Non-economic damages compensate a victim for losses that cannot be itemized, which may include:
- Pain and suffering: This includes compensation for physical pain suffered due to the truck accident injuries. This figure will be determined by the extent of the injury, the type of treatment required and the injury's duration, among other things.
- Mental anguish: This can include damages for the emotional pain suffered due to the accident, which may include fear, nervousness, and anxiety.
Put Our Law Firm's Over 35 Years of Legal Experience to Work For Your Case!
If you have been injured because of the actions of another person or party, speaking with an attorney can help you understand your legal rights as well as the actions necessary to preserve your rights. Our compassionate truck accident attorneys at Montlick and Associates represent those who suffer serious injuries throughout all of Georgia and in the Southeast, including all smaller cities and rural areas in the state.
No matter where you are located our attorneys are just a phone call away, and we will even come to you. Call us 24 hours a day/7 days a week for your Free Consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333). You can also visit us online at www.montlick.com and use our Free Case Evaluation Form or 24-hour Live Online Chat.