Atlanta Ranks Near Bottom in New National Driver Safety Report
A recent annual report was released that ranked the 200 most populous cities in the United States based on driver safety. Safety is based on the average number of years drivers go between accidents and the likelihood of a collision, as compared to other cities. This year, Atlanta was ranked number 184 out of 200, making it one of the most accident-prone cities. Drivers in the city are involved in a car accident approximately every 7.1 years and are 40 percent more likely to be in an accident than drivers are nationally. Unfortunately, Atlanta has fallen five points since last year, indicating that accidents are becoming more common in the area.
Our car accident attorneys at Montlick and Associates, Attorneys at Law, are saddened to see this recent report. We know firsthand how common car accidents are in the Atlanta area and assist injured car accident victims every day, fighting to see that our clients are compensated for their serious injuries.
Stay Safe While Driving in Atlanta
Despite your increased risk for an accident in Atlanta, there are some steps you can take to help you stay safe while driving around the city. Take a look at these tips offered by Edmunds and our car accident attorneys at Montlick and Associates, Attorneys at Law:
- Pay attention: Always focus on the road ahead. Atlanta roads can quickly become congested. Moreover, construction can block off lanes, causing drivers to have to change lanes in order to continue to their destinations. If you are distracted, you could be seriously injured in a car accident because of such variables in the road.
- Scan the road ahead: You will likely prevent accidents by looking beyond the car right in front of you. Scan the road ahead so that you can spot any dangers and accordingly react promptly.
- Be aware of your blind spots: Adjust your mirrors to a safe position, but always remember that you cannot rely solely on your mirrors. Your vehicle will have several blind spots, and you should always look over your shoulder before merging or turning.
- Maintain your vehicle: Car maintenance is crucial to accident prevention. Be sure your vehicle is in top working order, including your tires and brakes.
- Avoid nighttime driving: Nighttime driving comes with additional risks. Drivers will need to contend with drunk drivers on the road, while also coping with their own increased fatigue. If you must drive at night, be sure you are adequately rested, obey speed limits, and drive defensively.
- Keep your cool in traffic: Congestion is a source of many accidents in Atlanta. If you are stuck in traffic, be sure to stay calm and continue to pay attention to the road. Road rage or distraction can place you at considerable risk of an accident.
Put Our Law Firm's Over 35 Years of Legal Experience to Work For Your Case!
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, the Atlanta Car Accident Attorneys at Montlick and Associates, Attorneys at Law, are here to help. Since 1984, Montlick & Associates has assisted auto accident and injury victims throughout the State of Georgia.
No matter where you are located, our attorneys are just a phone call away, and we will even come to you. Call us 24 hours a day/7 days a week for your Free Consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333). You can also visit us online at www.montlick.com and use our Free Case Evaluation Form or 24-hour Live Online Chat.