Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Macon, Georgia
Macon Attorneys for the Accident Victims of Drunk Drivers
Drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol cause the death of approximately 10,000 people annually and inflict injury on many more. Lawmakers and traffic safety experts have employed a multitude of strategies to curtail the drunk driving epidemic. While these efforts have generated progress, intoxicated drivers continue to inflict an enormoous toll in bodily injuries and wrongful deaths. Drivers operated a vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol more than a million times during the most recent year for which government data has been made available. Although many people focus exclusively on alcohol-impaired drivers, drugged driving plays a role in 16 percent of motor vehicle crashes. These drugs include illegal narcotics, prescription medications, and over-the-counter (OTC) medications.
Regardless of which intoxicating substance causes a motorist impairment, drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol can experience many diminished mential and physical abilities, such as:
- Distorted vision
- Slowed reflexes
- Impaired judgment
- Inflated impression of own driving ability
- Difficulty with concentration
- Increased risk of engaging in other unsafe driving (e.g. speeding)
When these essential driving skills are compromised, the decision to drive places all others on the road in serious jeopardy. Because of the well-established knowledge of the impact of alcohol and drugs on driving ability, a drunk driver causing an accident exhibits the type of egregious conduct that often merits punitive damages. Intoxicated drivers do more than make a mistake, constituting mere negligence. They decide to climb behind the wheel despite the significant risk of causing a traffic collision that results in serious injury.
How Serious Is the Intoxicated Driving Epidemic in Georgia?
DUI continues to be the most common cause of fatal motor vehicle accicents in the United States. Drunk driving accounts for approximately a third of all traffic-related fatalities. A glimpse at data involving alcohol and drug impaired driving reveals the scope of the problem:
- Motorists with a BAC of .08 percent (the legal limit for DUI in Georgia) are eleven times more likely to be involved in a fatal collision than a driver who has not consumed alcohol.
- Two out of three people in the U.S. will be in an accident involving a drunk driver at some point during their lifetime.
- Alcohol causes half of all teenage related driving fatalities.
- Drugs other than alcohol (methampetamine, cocaine, marijuana, etc.) are involved in nearly one in five fatal motor vehicle accidents
Special Issues in Lawsuits against Substance-Impaired Drivers in Macon, GA
Although the arrest and conviction of a drunk driver who causes a collision typically provides a strong case for liability, DUI injury accidents raise other issues. Motorists that commit DUI are more likely to have no insurance or to flee the scene of an accident. Because DUI offenders often have already received a suspension of their driving privileges, a significant risk exists that drunk drivers involved in collisions will be uninsured. Such individuals normally have no way to satisfy a judgment or settlement.
However, an injured person due to such circumstances who has uninsured motorist coverage, or lives with a family member who does, can receive compensation even if the drunk driver has no auto insurance, including compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, Paind and Suffering, and more. When an accident victim experiences a collision caused by an intoxicated motorist, our Macon lawyers at Montlick and Associates consider all potential defendants, insurance coverage, and other sources of recovery. Additional persons or companies that might be liable, depending on the circumstances include:
- A business that served a minor or “noticably intoxicated” person (proving the requisite intent or knowledge can be difficult)
- The owner of a car who entrusts the vehicle to a person the owner should know is not a competent driver
- Drivers of other vehicles whose conduct played a substantial factor in causing the collision
- Employers of the driver if the person was acting in the scope of employment
- Manufacturers of defective vehicle components and automobiles
Our Macon DUI accident attorneys at Montlick and Associates provide high quality representation of people who suffered injuries in accidents caused by others. We fight hard on behalf of each client to maximize the amount of financial recovery they receive under the law.
Put Our Law Firm's Over 36 Years Of Legal Experience To Work For Your Case!
If you have been injured in any type of accident caused by someone else's negligence, contact Montlick & Associates today for your free consultation. Montlick & Associates has been representing those who suffer serious injuries throughout all of Georgia and in the Southeast for over 36 years, including but not limited to Albany, Athens, Atlanta, Augusta, Columbus, Gainesville, Macon, Marietta, Rome, Roswell, Savannah, Smyrna, Valdosta, Warner Robins and all smaller cities and rural areas in the state.
No matter where you are located our attorneys are just a phone call away, and we will even come to you. Call us 24 hours a day/7 days a week for your Free Consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333). You can also visit us online at www.montlick.com and use our Free Case Evaluation Form or 24-hour Live Online Chat.