Some people view the prospect of suffering life-altering injuries in car accidents as something that only happens to others. This false sense of security is fine until you are the one coping with the pain, anxiety, and financial challenges caused by serious car accidents. Unfortunately, empirical data does not support this rosy picture. While the final calculation of the number of fatal car accidents in 2011 was not yet available when this web page was prepared, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that more than 32,300 people perished in auto accidents. Since millions of other vehicle occupants were injured, the decision to be vigilant and wary of drivers that appear distracted, substance impaired, or careless is prudent when navigating Atlanta streets in your motor vehicle.
Many people who contact our Atlanta car wreck attorney assume that serious car accidents are more of a national problem than one we experience right here in Georgia. This also is a misconception based on Georgia DMV crash data that reveals car crashes claim the lives of 31 people each week in our state. There are many factors that may contribute to auto collisions in Atlanta, but some of the most significant include:
- Driver Inattentiveness: Most auto accidents are caused by drivers who are not paying attention to the road and are multi-tasking by using their mobile phone, adjusting the car radio, applying their makeup, or otherwise using their eyes, hands, and mind for more than one purpose. At nighttime, distracted driving is even more dangerous because of the inability to see as far or as well.
- Speeding Drivers: A lot of Flowery Branch car accidents could be avoided entirely or the severity of injury could be reduced if drivers observed the speed limit prescribed by traffic laws. When drivers are speeding, it impairs their ability to stop, swerve, or slow down in time to avoid a collision.
- Drunk Driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs may cause drowsiness on the part of the driver, distort perception, or impair judgment or reflexes.
- Violation of Traffic Signs and Signals: A driver trying to beat a red light often ends up causing a car accident. Those who do not heed signs warning of detours, construction projects or the need to yield may also cause car accidents.
- Unsafe Roads: Public entities also can cause road accidents by utilizing an improper intersection, traffic control or road design. In other situations, the roadway design may not be inherently dangerous but the failure to perform proper roadway maintenance may make the road dangerous.
Your Allies in Fighting Insurance Companies in Serious Atlanta Car Accident Cases
If you are involved in a serious motor vehicle collision, your ability to recover financial compensation for your physical injuries, emotional injuries, and financial loss depend on proper handling of your personal injury claim. Because the majority of car accident claims will be paid by the insurance carrier for the other driver, it is important to take certain precautions to avoid compromising your claim. While you should obtain medical attention and report all symptoms no matter how minor they might seem, you should not speak to representatives of the insurance company for the other driver. No matter how friendly or helpful the insurance representative may seem, the goal of the insurance adjuster is to limit or prevent your recovery of damages.
When injuries are suffered in an auto accident, there are many injuries that may result ranging from less severe injuries like soft tissue injuries and whiplash to incapacitating injuries like spinal cord damage, traumatic brain injury, broken bones, and even wrongful death. Each Atlanta car wreck attorney from our firm is available to provide a thorough free consultation so that we can evaluate your car accident claim and provide an estimation of the value of your damage claim. The value of your car accident claim requires an analysis of the specific facts in your case but may include:
- Hospitalization, surgery, medical treatment, and rehabilitative care
- Loss of wages and future diminished earning ability
- Property losses like vehicle damage
- Cost associated with a funeral service or burial expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Adverse impact on quality of life
- Impairment of companionship in a marital relationship
- Punitive damages
Our experienced lawyers are committed to representing personal injury and wrongful death victims in obtaining the compensation necessary to rebuild their lives and support their families. Call now for a FREE CONSULTATION with Montlick and Associates' experienced accident attorneys. Our attorneys are available to help you and may even visit you if needed. You can call us anytime 24/7 at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) for a FREE CONSULTATION. Alternatively, you can visit our website at www.montlick.com to make use of our FREE CASE EVALUATION FORM or 24-hour live online chat service.