Cartersville Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
People cross the street everyday to exercise, walk to the store and accompany their children to school. It is rare that we stop and think about the danger involved in this commonplace activity that is so fundamental to our lives. When a pedestrian is hit by a motor vehicle while walking or jogging in Cartersville or throughout Georgia, there is a high probability that he or she will suffer life-altering injuries or even wrongful death. There is simply no such thing as a minor pedestrian accident. The human body is not designed to withstand the impact of thousands of pounds of steel moving at high rates of speed. More than 4,000 people per year die in fatal pedestrian accidents and another 59,000 people suffer injuries in pedestrian collisions annually. When a pedestrian is hit by a motor vehicle in Cartersville, whether a car, truck or SUV, the results are generally devastating.
Understanding the Causes of Cartersville Pedestrian Accidents
While most pedestrian accidents are caused by negligent (i.e. unreasonably unsafe) or reckless drivers of motor vehicles, this is not the only cause of serious or fatal Cartersville pedestrian accidents. Pedestrian accidents may also be caused by the defective design of a roadway or intersection or motor vehicle defects, which inhibit a driver’s ability to respond properly when it is necessary to stop or swerve to avoid a pedestrian accident. One of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents is poor public safety planning when constructing roads and highways in Georgia. Because so many pedestrian accidents are at least partially caused by poor safety planning by public entities, it is essential to work with an experienced pedestrian accident attorney in Georgia that understands the special rules and procedures involved with pursuing a claim against a public entity, as well as possessing the resources to prevail such litigation. Georgia cities consistently appear in ranking of the most dangerous cities in the U.S.
The many years of experience and expertise possessed by our Cartersville pedestrian accident attorneys means that we are qualified to handle all types of pedestrian accidents. Some of the types of pedestrian accidents that we handle include, but are not limited to the following:
- Pedestrians hit by drunk or drug-impaired drivers
- Pedestrian accidents caused by inattentive drivers (distracted driving)
- Motorists who collide with pedestrians when they run red lights or stop signs
- Drivers who exceed the speed limit and are not able to stop in time to avoid running down a pedestrian
- Unsafe road design, including lack of crosswalks, poorly timed signals, inappropriate speed limits, blind curves and visual obstructions caused by overgrown foliage
- Maintenance companies that fail to properly inspect and repair buses and other public transit vehicles
- Product defects in motor vehicles
While anyone who walks in Cartersville is at potential risk of being injured in a pedestrian accident, children and the elderly are the most common victims of pedestrian-motor vehicle collisions. Almost forty percent of pedestrians injured in collisions with cars or trucks are children under the age of 15 because of children’s relative degree of inexperience and lack of maturity. Children are more likely to make mistakes that place them in the path of a motor vehicle. Scientific studies have shown part of the reason for this increased risk is that children are less able to judge distance and speed. Senior citizens are also at a greater risk of being involved in pedestrian accidents with thousands of seniors being injured in pedestrian accidents each year.
Preventing Fatal Cartersville Pedestrian Accidents
While our experienced Cartersville pedestrian accident attorneys at Montlick and Associates have helped many pedestrian accident victims throughout Georgia obtain compensation for their injuries, we would prefer that pedestrians not be injured in the first place. Despite the inherent danger of placing unprotected pedestrians and large, heavy motor vehicles in close proximity, there are still ways to reduce the risk of pedestrian accidents, including the following:
- Use Crosswalks: Pedestrians should never cross in the middle of the block. If possible, you should always use a crosswalk.
- Wear Bright or Reflective Clothing: While it is always a good idea to wear bright or fluorescent clothing that makes you visible when walking, it is even more important to do so at night when it can be very difficult for drivers to see pedestrians.
- Use Controlled Intersections: While it may not always be possible to cross at intersections with traffic signals, you should try to do so wherever possible.
- Closely Supervise Children: Because children lack the ability to accurately judge speed and distance and have less experience responding to traffic, you should closely supervise children when they are walking or crossing the street.
- Avoid Highways and Freeways: Although it might seem obvious that it is never a good idea to cross a freeway or highway where traffic is moving at a high rate of speed, many pedestrians are killed every year engaging in this extremely dangerous practice.
Anyone who is injured or loses a loved one in a pedestrian accident in Cartersville or anywhere throughout Georgia may suffer severe injuries. Pedestrians who are struck by motor vehicles frequently suffer serious head injuries, permanent brain damage, debilitating spinal cord injuries, severe fractures or broken bones and potentially fatal internal organ injuries. Our reputation for obtaining substantial settlements and judgments on behalf of pedestrian accident victims means that insurance companies must consider the risk of a substantial verdict when evaluating what to offer as a settlement of your Cartersville pedestrian accident claim. While we are more than ready to take a case to trial if we do not believe that our client is getting a favorable settlement offer, our reputation for obtaining significant verdicts means our clients are more likely to get more generous settlement offers. If you are injured or lose a loved one in a Cartersville pedestrian accident, we may be able to help you seek financial compensation including the following:
- Medical expenses and hospital bills
- Lost salary or past or present wages
- Property damage, such as the cost of vehicle repair or replacement and other out-of-pocket losses
- Future lost income from disabling injuries
- Intangible damages, such as pain and suffering and diminished enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium damages (diminished services or companionship of a spouse)
- Funeral and burial expenses in a wrongful death action
- Punitive damages (certain cases)
Contact Us Today to Reclaim Your Future
We invite you to contact us if you have been involved in a pedestrian accident in Cartersville and suffer serious injuries or someone you love has died. We understand the enormous anxiety, anger and fear that you may be experiencing when you are the victim of a Cartersville pedestrian accident. Our committed team of Cartersville pedestrian accident lawyers is available to analyze your pedestrian accident claim. Our Cartersville pedestrian accident attorneys have helped many pedestrian accident victims just like you.
Be aware of your legal rights! If you have been injured in a Cartersville pedestrian accident, you may be eligible for financial compensation. Call now for a FREE CONSULTATION with Montlick and Associates' experienced Cartersville pedestrian accident attorneys.
Our attorneys are available to help you and may even visit you if needed. You can call us anytime 24/7 at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) for your FREE CONSULTATION. Alternatively, you can visit our website at www.montlick.com to make use of our FREE CASE EVALUATION FORM or 24-hour live online chat service.