Tragic, Fatal Accident Involving a Motorcycle Occurs on United States Highway 278
BEAUFORT COUNTY, SC – According to an online news report at wsav.com, officials responded to a deadly accident that occurred on United States Highway 278 east close to Sun City Boulevard. The crash involved a passenger vehicle and a motorcycle.*
The accident occurred late last week. Per the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office, the motorcyclist, who has not been identified at this time, died at the scene of the accident. The exact cause of the accident has not been reported. Drivers were urged to seek alternative routes and to expect delays in the vicinity of the crash. The South Carolina Highway Patrol and the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office were dispatched to the scene. It is not clear whether anyone in the passenger vehicle sustained injuries. It has also not been reported as to how the accident was caused or who was at fault.
There are no further details on the accident at this time. The crash remains under investigation by the local police.
There are several common causes of motorcycle accidents, many of which end up involving serious injuries or death. These are as follows:
- Changing lanes in an unsafe manner. Drivers risk being involved in an accident with a motorcycle when they fail to check his or her blind spots or using a signal before changing lanes.
- Car doors. Accidents commonly occur where an individual opens the door of his or her parked vehicle without looking to check if there is an oncoming motorcycle.
- Speed. Drivers who speed are often unable to stop their vehicles in time to prevent a collision with a motorcycle. This can result in serious injuries or death.
- Driving while impaired. Drivers who are involved in accidents while impaired by drugs or alcohol may face both criminal and civil liability for causing an accident with a motorcyclist.
- Sudden stops. Drivers who follow a motorcycle too closely may not be able to stop in time to avoid a rear-end collision if the motorcycle suddenly stops in front of it.
- Left turn crashes. Many drivers of passenger vehicles make right of way errors when attempting to turn left because they misjudge the distance of a motorcycle in its path. These often cause serious injuries and fatalities.
Accident News is a safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.