Tips to Help You Avoid Bicycle Accidents With Injuries
According to a study conducted by the federal government, approximately seven hundred individuals died in bicycle accidents last year, and over ninety percent of bicyclist deaths involved a passenger vehicle. Almost 550,000 bikers were taken to emergency rooms following a crash. These statistics are alarming, and the numbers of bicycle accidents continue to increase per year. In order to avoid being injured in an accident, adhere to the following safety tips when riding a bicycle:
- Always wear a helmet. For those who choose not to wear a helmet, they are at a significantly higher risk of dying of a traumatic brain injury should an accident occur.
- Follow the same traffic laws as motorists. This means that when there is a stop sign or red light at an intersection, you should stop like other passenger vehicles are required to do so. This also means that you should follow the flow of traffic to avoid being hit by oncoming vehicles.
- Avoid heavily congested roads. To increase your safety, it is highly recommended that you ride on residential areas rather than on congested roads.
- Make yourself visible, especially at night. This can be achieved by wearing bright colored and reflective clothing. You should also outfit your bicycle with lights and reflectors so that drivers can more readily see you.
- When going across a pedestrian lane, dismount your bike.
- Stay a safe distance away from parked cars to prevent a collision with a car door that could open.
- Yield to pedestrians.
- Do not engage in distractions that take your eyes away from the road. Distractions include texting, talking on a cellphone, eating, drinking, and using portable music players.
- Be extra cautious before crossing an intersection, even if you have a green light.
Put Our Law Firm's Over 37 Years Of Legal Experience To Work For Your Case!
If you have been injured by any type of accident caused by someone else's negligence, call Montlick & Associates, Attorneys at Law for your free consultation today. Montlick & Associates, Attorneys at Law has been representing those who suffer serious injuries for over 37 years.
No matter where you are located our attorneys are just a phone call away, and we will even come to you. Call us 24 hours a day/7 days a week for your Free Consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333). You can also visit us online at www.montlick.com and use our Free Case Evaluation Form or 24-hour live chat.