Risk of Fire Caused by Lasko Box Fans Prompts Massive Recall


May 04, 2011

A massive recall of box fans manufactured by Lasko Products Inc. has been announced by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) because of a risk of fire hazard.

The voluntary recall was announced after reports of seven separate fires that were caused by fan motors, including three involving residences and one involving a barn. The fires have resulted in substantial loss of property, though to this point there have not been reports of injuries.

The recall covers almost 5 million fans that were marketed under “Lasko” and “Galaxy” brand names. The box fan recall covers Lasko box fans with model numbers 3720, 3723 and 3733 and Galaxy box fans with the model numbers 4733 with the date 2002-03 or 2003-04 on the box. According to the CPSC recall notice, the fires were caused by an electrical failure in the fan motor, which creates a risk of fire. Anyone owning one of these fans should immediately stop using the box fan and contact the manufacturer, Lasko, to obtain a free fused plug safety adapter at (877) 445-1314.

This recent box fan recall follows a recall of portable heaters manufactured by Lasko a mere month earlier (February). Like the box fans, the Lasko portable space heaters that were recalled posed a risk of fire, which was also linked to electrical malfunctions. There were several dozen fires linked to the portable space heater malfunctions.

The recent recalls of Lasko products is a reminder that it is important to take certain precaution when dealing with any electrical device to avoid fires that may cause serious injury or death. We have provided a few suggestions below that may help you and your family stay safe:

  • Where possible do not leave electrical devices unattended when in use
  • Turn off electrical devices when leaving your home
  • Keep electrical devices on non-flammable surfaces like ceramic tile as opposed to carpet
  • Do not place electrical devices in close proximity to highly flammable materials
  • Use an automatic time shutoff if you are prone to forget turning off electrical devises

If you or a loved one has suffered serious injury in a fire including smoke inhalation injuries, severe burns or even wrongful death, the experienced Atlanta product liability attorneys of Montlick and Associates diligently represent clients who suffer serious injuries caused by defective products. We are committed to seeking the best possible financial recovery for our clients, and our goal is to be regarded as the best Atlanta product liability attorneys in Georgia.

Montlick and Associates is available to assist clients throughout all of Georgia and the Southeast, including but not limited to Albany, Athens, Atlanta, Augusta, Columbus, Gainesville, Macon, Marietta, Rome, Roswell, Savannah, Smyrna, Valdosta, Warner Robins and all smaller cities and rural areas in the state. No matter where you are located our attorneys are just a phone call away, and we will even come to you. Call us 24 hours a day/7 days a week for your Free Consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333). You can also visit us online at www.montlick.com and use our Free Case Evaluation Form or 24-hour Live Online Chat.

Category: Personal Injury

Please Note:
Many of our blog articles discuss the law. All information provided about the law is very general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Every situation is different, and should be analyzed by a lawyer who can provide individualized advice based on the facts involved in your unique situation, and a consideration of all of the nuances of the statutes and case law that apply at the time.