Defective Products Can Cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Nearly 20,000 people are treated for carbon monoxide poisoning annually including severe brain damage and even death. Carbon monoxide poisoning frequently results from defective products including faulty or poorly vented fuel burning appliances such as fireplaces, furnaces, stoves and water heaters.
Carbon monoxide is extraordinarily toxic, and if emitted inside your home, it can result in death to all of the occupants in a matter of minutes. This dangerous gas is particularly dangerous because it is tasteless and odorless so many times people do not even realize they are being exposed until it is too late. If you have suffered serious injury or a loved one has been killed as a result of exposure to carbon monoxide gas from a defective product, you may be entitled to compensation for your loss.
The experienced Georgia product liability attorneys of Montlick and Associates, Attorneys at Law, have been representing those injured by defective products for over 37 years. We diligently represent our clients so that we can obtain the best possible financial recovery for our clients, as part of our goal of being regarded as the top personal injury law firm in Georgia. We know that defective products that cause carbon monoxide poisoning often lead to permanent disability. Our committed personal injury lawyers zealously represent our clients’ best interests whenever our clients suffer serious injury from a defective product.
Carbon monoxide is a result of fuels not being completely burned that have carbon as part of their composition. When you breathe carbon dioxide, it attaches to the hemoglobin in your blood and interferes with oxygen absorption. The incomplete burning of fuels that contain carbon produces carbon monoxide. If carbon monoxide gas is inhaled through the lungs and is absorbed by the hemoglobin in the red blood cells, it disrupts the process of delivery of oxygen to the brain and other vital organs. A person who suffers carbon monoxide poisoning may suffer damage to the brain, lungs, heart or central nervous system. The effect of such injury can result in disruption of cognitive functions, memory and other mental functioning.
Some of the most common defective products that my cause carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- Appliances with defects
- Defective power tools
- Heating systems that malfunction
- Propane stoves or portable heaters
- Exhaust from motor vehicles
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends a number of safeguards to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Have any heating system in your home serviced annually
- Use battery operated CO2 monitors
- Keep your fireplace damper open when the fireplace is in use
- Only use portable generators outside
- Do not use charcoal barbecues in enclosures
If you have suffered serious injuries or a loved one has suffered wrongful death from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a defective product or negligence of a third party, you may be able to seek financial compensation for your injuries. The Atlanta carbon monoxide poisoning lawyers of Montlick and Associates zealously pursue the best interests of our clients as part of our ongoing goal of being the top Atlanta personal injury lawyers throughout Georgia.
Montlick and Associates is available to assist clients throughout all of Georgia and the Southeast, including but not limited to Albany, Athens, Atlanta, Augusta, Columbus, Gainesville, Macon, Marietta, Rome, Roswell, Savannah, Smyrna, Valdosta, Warner Robins and all smaller cities and rural areas in the state. No matter where you are located our attorneys are just a phone call away, and we will even come to you. Call us 24 hours a day/7 days a week for your Free Consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333). You can also visit us online at www.montlick.com and use our Free Case Evaluation Form or 24-hour Live Online Chat.