Maker of Sophie the Giraffe Could Face Lawsuits
Our Georgia Product Liability Attorneys Discuss Mold Issues Plaguing Popular Baby Toy
Sophie the Giraffe is a beloved children's teether. The product was first introduced in 1961. Since that time, new parents everywhere have come to consider Sophie a must have for their new baby. Made out of natural rubber and priced high for a teether, the product was commonly thought by parents to be of the highest quality and safety. Recently, however, a frightening discovery occurred when a parent decided to cut open her child's Sophie after noticing it emanated a strong musty smell. She was horrified to find that the chew toy was full of mold. Since her discovery, other parents have opened up their toys to find them filled with mold as well.
How is Mold Getting Into the Teether?
Sophie the Giraffe has a hole in it to allow air in and out, which makes the toy squeezable. This opening also allows moisture to enter the toy, often from the saliva of children chewing on the toy or as a result of parents cleaning it. Sophie's instructions do tell parents they should clean the toy with a damp cloth and not immerse the teether in water or rinse it off.
Mold Exposure and Children
Mold is all around us and most children will not experience adverse effects due to mold exposure. However, concentrated mold, like in some of the Sophie toys, could cause serious symptoms in children with an immune disorder or mold allergy. Children could experience symptoms like coughing, a rash, and itchy eyes. The parents of any child with an immune disorder should be especially vigilant for signs of mold in their children's toys.
Parents with a Sophie at home should inspect the toy and check for any odd smells. If you suspect the toy could contain mold, you may wish to open it up. Moldy toys should be reported to the toy's manufacturer. If you have noticed any odd symptoms in your child that could be the sign of a mold allergy or illness related to mold within the toy, take your child to the doctor immediately.
Thus far, representatives for the makers of Sophie have responded to complaints by reminding parents of the cleaning instructions. They advise that they are continuing to look into the matter and take safety very seriously. It is possible that the makers of Sophie will face liability for illnesses stemming from mold within the toy.
Product manufacturers have a duty to ensure their products are safe for their intended use. If a product causes injury when used as intended, the victim of that product may have a product liability claim against the manufacturer of the the product. Individuals injured by defective or dangerous products could receive compensation for their medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. If you have been injured by a product that you believe is defective, contact a product liability lawyer at Montlick & Associates as soon as possible to learn about your legal rights and options as well as what steps are necessary to protect those rights.
Contact Montlick and Associates Today for Your Free Consultation!
If your child has been injured or taken ill due to a children's toy or product, our Georgia Product Liability Attorneys at Montlick and Associates can review the facts and circumstances of what happened and advise you as to what steps you should take. Our firm brings over 36 years of experience to your product liability case. We understand that as parents, you never want to see your child suffer. When a product you assumed was safe injures your child, it is devastating and unjust. We hold product makers accountable for their products.
Call Montlick & Associates 24 hours a day/7 days a week for your Free Consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333). You can also visit us online at www.montlick.com and use our Free Case Evaluation Form or 24-hour Live Online Chat.
Montlick & Associates, Attorneys at Law
17 Executive Park Dr NE
Atlanta, GA 30329
Telephone: 1 (404) 529-6333
Toll Free: 1 (800) LAW-NEED
Hours: Open Today · Open 24 hours