Memorial Day Weekend Safe Boating Tips
Cumming, Georgia - A news report on patch.com states that hundreds of thousands of people throughout the United States have become first-time boat owners due to the coronavirus pandemic.*
The water sports foundation issue a news release stating that the record high boat sales will mean many new voters will be on Lake Lanier in the next several days.
The water sports foundation and other safety organizations are doing their best this year to help reduce the number of fatal boating incidents this year. According to 2019 statistics from the U.S. Coast Guard, 70% of fatal boating accidents occurred with drivers who had no safety instruction. The leading causes of accidents include operator inattention, operator inexperience, alcohol usage, improper lookout, and excessive speed.
The following are a few safety tips provided by the water sports foundation to help keep the family safe this year.
1. Take a boating safety education course.
2. Always wear a life jacket.
3. Never drink or drug and operate a vessel.
4. Purchase an emergency engine cut-off device.
5. Tell Marina staff, Friends, or family about your trip and those on the boat and other pertinent information.
6. Respond early to bad weather.
7. Communicate effectively with all passengers about the boat moving.
8. Watch out for voters in swimmers at all times.
9. Obey boating laws and capacity limits.
10. Plan your trips carefully.
11. Use care in lighting when boating at night.
12. Observe posted speed limit and no-wake zones.
Law enforcement officers are reminding all boaters that this year will have many new boaters with little to no vessel operating experience or training. It is also advisable to carry insurance in the event that you were in an accident and follow all mandated insurance regulations and laws.
Accident News is a safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, please visit iridesafe.com. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or a family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.