Hot tub Accidents Triple During the COVID-19 Lockdowns
USA - Hot tub home insurance claims tripled in 2020 as people spent more time at home due to the coronavirus quarantines, according to an insurance report. A report from the UK's Aviva stated that there were about 188% more insurance claims involving hot tubs in 2020 than in 2019. The claims were mostly property-type claims. However, as more people invest in "staycation" items such as hot tubs, trampolines, outdoor kitchens, swimming pools, and others, the number of accident and injury claims may continue to climb.
According to the news report, the number of high-ticket items sky-rocketed in popularity in 2020 in the United States and in countries like the UK. The online retail giant, eBay, reported hot tub sales had jumped by almost 500%.
C.S. Mott Children's Hospital states reported that hot tubs and spas are an overlooked drowning hazard for small children. Drownings typically happen from accidental falls into the water, from body parts becoming trapped, and from hair getting caught in jets or drains or jets. Parents and grandparents should keep their hot tubs and spas "off-limits" to small children.
C.S. Mott Children's Hospital recommends the following safety tips for spa and hot tub owners:
- Learn CPR - Cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Always supervise children in or around hot tubs and spas.
- Keep a phone handy to call 911 in of an emergency.
- Don't permit underwater play in a spa or hot tub to avoid jets or drains sucking hair in and trapping your child underwater.
- Know the location of the emergency pump cutoff switch in case of an emergency.
- Purchase and always use a locked safety cover.
- Repair cracked or broken drain covers.
- Do not let the water temperatures exceed 104°F to prevent heatstroke, loss of consciousness, or drowsiness, to avoid potential drownings.
- Install a window and/or a door alarm to alert you if someone is in the area of the spa or hot tub.
Put Our Law Firm's Legal Experience To Work For You! We Know What It Takes To Win!™
While we hope you are safe and never need our services, we are here to help you if you are involved in any type of accident or just have a question. Call Montlick & Associates, Injury Attorneys, for your free consultation today. Our law firm has been representing those who suffer serious injuries for over 37 years, and our attorneys have recovered billions of dollars for our clients. We Know What It Takes To Win!™ Please visit our read Montlick & Associates reviews to see what our clients have to say about our commitment to exceptional service.
No matter where you are located, our attorneys are just a phone call away, and we will even come to you. Call us nationwide 24 hours day/7 days a week for your Free Consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333), or simply dial #WIN (#946) from your mobile phone. You can also visit us online at Montlick.com and use our Free Case Evaluation Form or Free 24-hour live chat.