U.S. Department of Transportation Releases Information on Pedestrian Safety and Countermeasures
UNITED STATES – According to www.pedbikesafe.org, the United States Department of Transportation and Federal Highway Administration has released information about pedestrian safety as well as countermeasures to implement which may reduce the incidence of pedestrian crashes and save lives.*
The United States Department of Transportation has compiled a “Pedestrian Safety Guide and Countermeasure Selection System,” also known as “PEDSAFE,” which provides a listing of countermeasures that, if implemented, can help to reduce the number of pedestrian accidents that often lead to serious injuries or death.
The PEDSAFE system provides a list of common crash types, various causes of crashes, and a list of proposed countermeasures for each crash type. The twelve (12) crash types identified by PEDSAFE include the following:
- Multiple Threat/Trapped in Roadway;
- Unique Midblock (mailbox, ice cream vendor, parked vehicle);
- Through Vehicle at Unsignalized Location;
- Turning Vehicle;
- Through Vehicle at Signalized Location;
- Walking Along Roadway;
- Working/Playing in Road;
- Non-Roadway (sidewalk, driveway, parking lot, or other);
- Backing Vehicle; and
- Crossing Expressway.
While there are numerous causes of pedestrian accidents, there are generally common causes that can be traced to the above-listed crash types.
Countermeasures to Reduce the Incidence of Pedestrian Accidents
All crash types identified by PEDSAFE share similar countermeasures, which may help to prevent future pedestrian accidents. The most common countermeasures applicable to most accident types include, among others, the following:
- Improve lighting;
- Implement driver and pedestrian education programs;
- Install pedestrian signals;
- Install raised pedestrian crossing islands;
- Adjust pedestrian signal timing;
- Relocate mailboxes and other objects to safer locations;
- Improve parking options for motorists to avoid parking on streets;
- Increase police surveillance;
- Provide clearly delineated walkways for pedestrians;
- Remove unneeded alleys and driveways;
- Improve signals/signs for drivers to be aware of nearby pedestrians; and
- Reduce roadway width where possible.
Put Our Law Firm's Legal Experience to Work For You! We Know What It Takes To Win!™
While we hope you are safe and never need our services, we are here to help you if you are involved in any type of accident or just have a question. Call Montlick & Associates, Injury Attorneys, for your free consultation today. Our law firm has been representing those who suffer serious injuries for over 37 years and our attorneys have recovered billions of dollars for our clients. We Know What It Takes To Win!™
No matter where you are located our attorneys are just a phone call away, and we will even come to you. Call us nationwide 24 hours day/7 days a week for your Free Consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333), or simply dial #WIN (#946) from your mobile phone. You can also visit us online at Montlick.com and use our Free Case Evaluation Form or Free 24-hour live chat.