Back Surgery Following a Car Accident in Georgia
A serious car accident can result in considerable injuries, with one of the most commonly injured areas being the back. Our backs are made up of an intricate array of nerves and spinal cord bones. It is extremely prone to injury in the event of high impact force. In cases of severe back injury, back surgery might be necessary to relieve pain and restore sensation to the extremities. This article will generally discuss common back injuries and procedures as they pertain to personal injury cases. However, none of the information contained herein should be construed as medical advice and anyone who is contemplating such procedures or have suffered musculoskeletal injuries should consult a medical spinal doctor.
At Montlick and Associates, Attorneys at Law, our Georgia automobile accident attorneys understand that back injuries can be among the most painful and debilitating of all injuries. Treatment for back injuries could leave you unable to work or perform daily living tasks for some time to come. As such, car accident victims with back injuries should receive the compensation they deserve and our firm fights to see that they do.
Car Accident Victims Could Require the Following Surgeries:
- Vertebroplasty: This surgery involves injection of a bone-cement mixture into the vertebra in order to repair a spinal fracture.
- Laminectomy: In this surgery, the surgeon removes parts of the bone or ligaments in the back. This can relieve pressure on the spinal nerves, which could be causing pain or weakness. However, this surgery can cause the spine to become less stable.
- Foraminotomy: During this surgery, the surgeon removes bone at the sides of the vertebrae to allow the nerve roots more room to exit the spine. The procedure can relieve pressure on the nerves and hopefully pain, but like the laminectomy, it can reduce stability.
- Discectomy: Slipped or bulging discs can press on the spinal nerve, causing back pain. In a discectomy, the surgeon removes all or a part of the bulging disc to reduce pain and restore feeling.
- Interlaminar implant: This is another alternative to a spinal fusion. It involves implantation of a U-shaped device between the back bones to help keep them in place and relieve pressure.
- Spinal fusion: Spinal fusion is the most common surgery to alleviate chronic back pain. Surgeons actually join the spinal bones, known as vertebrae, together. This restricts motion within the spine and limits stretching of the nerves, which can alleviate pain.
- Disc replacement: When a disc has been damaged, surgeons can remove the disc and insert an artificial disc between the vertebrae. This surgery is gaining in popularity as an alternative to a spinal fusion. It has a shorter recovery time, but does come with the risk of the artificial disc dislodging.
All back surgeries come with the risk of complications and could have an extended recovery period. Car accident victims with back injuries should be entitled to compensation from the at fault person or party for their medical expenses and more stemming from the accident.
Montlick and Associates, Attorneys at Law: Over 37 Years of Legal Experience Handling Accident & Injury Claims
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, you should be eligible to seek compensation from the at-fault driver involved. The Atlanta Auto Accident Attorneys at Montlick and Associates, Attorneys at Law, represent accident victims across Georgia and in the Southeast. Our firm has over 37 years of experience in handling such claims and we are committed to providing zealous representation to our injured clients. The sooner you act after your accident, the greater your chances of obtaining a full recovery. As such, it is important that you seek the assistance of a licensed lawyer as soon as possible. Call Montlick & Associates, Attorneys at Law, 24 hours a day/7 days a week for your Free Consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333). You can also visit us online at www.montlick.com and use our Free Case Evaluation Form or 24-hour Live Online Chat.