What You Should Know About Parking Lot Accidents
Accidents in parking lots can result in serious and sometimes fatal injuries. Parking lot accidents are very common, as they are often replete with vehicles and people walking to their destination such as a supermarket or other type of establishment.*
Parking lot accidents often occur due to the negligence of drives. These types of accidents occur when drivers:
- Fail to look for pedestrians or vehicles when backing out of a parking space
- Go in reverse too far and strike a car that is parked behind them or a pedestrian
- Make broad turns into a parking space that is tight and hitting the parked car located next to them
- Speed in lanes as other cars are backing out of their parking spaces, striking them or pedestrians
- Go the wrong way down parking lot lanes, hitting cars or pedestrians
- Fail to yield to the right of way to oncoming cars when attempting to make a left turn
- Fail to adhere to parking signs
If you are involved in a parking lot accident, it is crucial to get the name and contact information of the parties involved in the accident. If there are injuries following the parking lot accident, call 911 immediately. It is also important to jot down their license plate number, license number, insurance information, etc. It is also helpful, if possible, to take photographs of the scene of the accident and obtain statements from witnesses as well as their names and contact information. You should also call for law enforcement to come to the scene and create an accident report, the information of which is vital when establishing fault in your case. Furthermore, It is critical that you also seek medical attention, even if you think you have not been seriously injured.
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.