Hands Free Law Now in Effect in Georgia; Details You Should Know About
GEORGIA – July 10, 2018 (albanyherald.com). According to an online news report at Albany herald.com, as of July 1, 2018, the new Georgia “Hands Free Law,” also known as HB 673, is now in effect. The Georgia General Assembly passed the bill which was signed by Georgia Governor Nathan Deal. Here are some details about the new law that you should know about:
A driver cannot:
- Have a phone in their hand or any other part of their body. Drivers can only use hands free devices such as Bluetooth or speakerphone, earpiece, wireless headphone, or if the cell phone is connected to a watch. GPS navigation is allowed.
- Use headphones or ear pieces to listen to music or other form of entertainment. These can only be used for communication.
- Send or read text messages unless they are commanded by voice based technology that coverts voice to text.
- Record videos when behind the wheel, unless via dash camera.
- Support with the use of their body or hold a cell phone or electronic device such as an iPod or iPad.
However, a driver can:
- Speak to command a phone or electronic device.
- Wear and use a watch connected to an iPhone.
- Use GPS or mapping apps.
- Use an earpiece to speak on a cellphone.
- Use radios, CB radios, subscription based emergency devices, etc.
- Handle a phone to report a traffic incident, emergency, fire, a crime, or hazardous road condition.
- Use a phone while lawfully parked.
It is our hope that being armed with the knowledge as to how car accidents occur, in addition to the extensive tips provided by Montlick & Associates’ award winning community service programs such as iridesafe.com, can help keep you and your family safe while traveling on Georgia roadways. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or a family member are hurt because of someone else's negligence, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
Montlick & Associates, Attorneys at Law
17 Executive Park Dr NE
Atlanta, GA 30329
Telephone: 1 (800) LAW-NEED
Telephone: 1 (404) 529-6333
*This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, sometimes initial reports are different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. This information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, but if it pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it.