Injured? Dial #WIN or #946 from your cellphone for your free consultation or call 1-800-LAW-NEED.
Call Us 24/7
( 1-800-529-6333 )
Click to Call 24/7

What to Do if You Live Out of State and Were Injured While in Georgia

January 28, 2018

Were You Injured While Visiting Georgia?

Being involved in an automobile accident is always a traumatic experience. When you happen to be away from home, out of your home city or state, it can be even more stressful. If you are away from your home state and in the state of Georgia when an accident occurs, there are measures you can take to minimize the stress of your accident. Just as with any accident you will notify the local police, get medical treatment and call your insurance company.

Insurance Covers You No Matter Where You Are

Remember that no matter where you are, across the United States, your auto insurance may still cover you. If you happen to be taking a cross-country trip—including Canada and Mexico—you will need to check your insurance coverage to determine what limitations may exist. Reporting an out-of-state auto accident to your insurance company is no different from reporting the accident if you were within miles of your own home. You can normally call the same 800 number and an agent will take the information regarding your accident.

Claims Adjuster Contact 

A claims adjuster will be assigned; based on how long you intend to be in Georgia, your insurance company may have a local claims adjuster visit with you or you may wait until you return home to have a claims adjuster take a look at the damage to your vehicle. In either case, the goal of your insurance company is to take care of the damage to your vehicle in the most efficient manner possible. You will work with your insurance company to determine whether your vehicle will be repaired locally or will be towed to your home in order to be repaired.

Getting the Medical Attention You Need

If you need medical attention you will see a doctor in Georgia rather than waiting until you return home. Many times people think they are “fine” following an auto accident then a few days later realize they are not fine at all. Make sure you have all necessary information in order to obtain the completed police report in the event you have left Georgia by the time it is complete.

Further Steps to Take Following Your Georgia Accident

If you are able, take photographs of the accident scene and make careful notes of every detail—no matter how small or unimportant they may seem at the time. If there are witnesses, see if you can get the names and numbers of those witnesses in the event you need witness statements down the line.

If you have properly followed all the necessary steps of reporting your accident in Georgia, you may now want to contact a local Georgia attorney who can give you solid legal advice regarding your accident and how you will go about obtaining a settlement if the driver who caused your accident exhibited negligence or reckless behavior. A local Georgia personal injury attorney has the necessary network of connections to other law firms and experts which you may need in order to prove liability in your case. 

Whether you live in Georgia and have been injured or were injured in Georgia while on business or pleasure, contact Montlick & Associates, Attorneys at Law for your free case review.

Put Our Law Firm's Over 38 Years Of Legal Experience To Work For Your Case!

No matter where you are located our attorneys are just a phone call away, and we will even come to you. Call us 24 hours a day/7 days a week for your Free Consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333). You can also visit us online at and use our Free Case Evaluation Form or 24-hour Live Online Chat.

Montlick & Associates, Attorneys at Law
17 Executive Park Dr NE
Atlanta, GA 30329
Telephone: 1 (800) LAW-NEED
Telephone: 1 (404) 529-6333 

Category: Auto Accidents

Please Note:
Many of our blog articles discuss the law. All information provided about the law is very general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Every situation is different, and should be analyzed by a lawyer who can provide individualized advice based on the facts involved in your unique situation, and a consideration of all of the nuances of the statutes and case law that apply at the time.