Psychological Issues Following a Car Accident
Car accidents do not just result in physical injuries; all too often, catastrophic car accidents will inflict lasting emotional injuries. Those seriously injured in a crash or anyone who has witnessed a horrible crash can suffer post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Those with PTSD might experience debilitating anxiety and flashbacks from the accident. PTSD can last for months, years, or even a lifetime. Car accident victims with PTSD will incur extensive medical bills, lost wages and mental pain and suffering. NOTE: This blog article will discuss PTSD as it pertains to personal injury claims. Anyone who believes they are experiencing PTSD symptoms should immediately consult a medical doctor or psychological health professional.
At Montlick and Associates, Attorneys at Law, our Georgia car accident attorneys often encounter clients suffering from PTSD. We understand how serious and hard-hitting this disorder can be. It is truly just as harmful as any physical injury. We fight to see that our psychologically traumatized clients receive the compensation they deserve so that they can return to their lives.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Following Car Accidents Affects Thousands
Millions of Americans are involved in car accidents each year and a number of these accident victims will experience significant psychological issues after the accident. In diagnosing PTSD, a psychologist will look for the following, among others:
- The person must have been exposed to a traumatic event wherein they experienced or witnessed death or serious injury or the threat of death or serious injury; and
- The person reacted with intense fear, horror, and helplessness.
- The traumatic event is re-experienced persistently, whether through disruptive thoughts, images, and recollections, distressing dreams, intense psychological distress, or physiological reactivity to stimuli that resemble some part of the accident.
- Patients might avoid stimuli connected to the accident, including avoiding thinking of or talking about the accident.
- Symptoms of increased arousal following the accident can include difficulty falling asleep, hypervigilance, irritability, and difficulty concentrating.
- The patient's disturbance must last for over one month.
- The disturbance must cause significant distress and impairment in several areas of functioning.
PTSD can impact nearly every aspect of a car accident victim's life. Some car accident victims may find themselves unable to drive a vehicle due to the fear and traumatic memories associated with the event. Others may struggle to make it through the work week due to intrusive thoughts of the accident, anxiety, and irritability.
If you are injured in a car accident and find yourself experiencing severe psychological distress, it is best to be immediately evaluated by a psychologist. With an appropriate diagnosis you can receive the treatment you need to cope with your PTSD. You might additionally be eligible for compensation from the at-fault driver to cover expenses associated with the PTSD.
Montlick & Associates, P.C.: Put Our Over 36 Years of Experience to Work on Your Case
If you have been injured in a car accident, you should be eligible to seek compensation from the driver responsible for the accident. The Atlanta Car Accident Attorneys at Montlick and Associates, Attorneys at Law, assist accident victims in Georgia and in the Southeast. Our firm has over 36 years of experience that we will dedicate to your case and our attorneys provide a wealth of knowledge and compassion to enhance your ability to obtain a full monetary recovery. The sooner you act after your accident, the greater your chances of reaching the best possible outcome. As such, it is important that you seek the assistance of a licensed lawyer as soon as possible. Call Montlick & Associates, Attorneys at Law, 24 hours a day/7 days a week for your Free Consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333). You can also visit us online at www.montlick.com and use our Free Case Evaluation Form or 24-hour Live Online Chat.