Georgia Child Airlifted to Hospital After Being Hit by Car Near School
Recently, a child in Gordon County was hit by a car near Tolbert Elementary School, according to WSB TV. Investigators believe the child was hit on private property at approximately 12:30 p.m. near the school. Emergency personnel responded to the scene and the child was transported by air ambulance to the Erlanger Medical Center in Chattanooga. The child's condition was not released to the public. Currently, the incident is being treated as an accident and no charges have been filed.
School Zone Safety Tips
This tragic accident occurring near a school demonstrates the need for all drivers, parents, and caregivers to follow some important school zone safety tips. Drivers should always:
- Slow down when approaching a school zone and obey all speed limits as well as traffic laws. This is important not just in school zones, but in the neighborhoods surrounding schools as well.
- Comply with your child's school drop off and pick up procedures to ensure the safety of all children.
- Avoid stopping at crosswalks or double parking in order to let children out of the car. Double parking tends to block visibility for other children and drivers.
- When you see a bus with flashing yellow lights, prepare to stop.
- Always stop for a school bus that has its red lights flashing, regardless of what direction the bus is approaching. Do not proceed until the school bus resumes driving and red lights are de-activated, or until signaled by the driver to continue.
- Always be on the lookout for children walking or riding their bikes. Be especially careful in the neighborhoods surrounding elementary schools as young students are more likely to dart out into the street and not observe traffic rules.
- Unload children as close as possible to the school, always seeking to unload on the correct side of the street so children do not have to cross.
- Watch for children playing at bus stops as they may enter the roadway.
- Watch for children as you back out of your driveway or garage as they could be passing your house.
If your child has been injured in a traffic accident, consult with an attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can evaluate the facts and circumstances of your case as well as take the necessary steps to protect your rights. Your child should be entitled to seek compensation from the party responsible for his or her injuries. Injured children could also receive compensation for their medical bills, pain and suffering and long term impact of the injuries.
Montlick and Associates, Attorneys at Law: Put Our Over 30 Years of Experience to Work on Your Case!
If you or a loved one has been injured in a traffic accident, contact the Georgia Auto Accident Attorneys at Montlick and Associates, Attorneys at Law. Our firm is dedicated to assisting those injured due to negligence across Georgia and in the Southeast and brings over 30 years of experience to your case, providing you with the zealous representation you need to obtain the best possible outcome. The sooner you act after your injury, the greater your chances of obtaining a full recovery. As such, it is important that you seek the assistance of an attorney as soon as possible. Call Montlick & Associates, Attorneys at Law, 24 hours a day/7 days a week for your Free Consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333). You can also visit us online at www.montlick.com and use our Free Case Evaluation Form or 24-hour Live Online Chat.