Injured? Dial #WIN or #946 from your cellphone for your free consultation or call 1-800-LAW-NEED.
Call Us 24/7
( 1-800-529-6333 )
Click to Call 24/7

What Happens if You are in a Car Accident with a Tourist

October 10, 2015

Being involved in a car accident is a stressful enough event, but what happens when the driver of the vehicle is not from Georgia? Dealing with a driver from another state or even another country can at times complicate the accident and make it even more difficult for you to obtain compensation.

If you are involved in a car accident and discover that the at-fault driver is from out of town, out of state or another country, follow the steps below:

1. Be sensitive to differences: If you are involved in an accident with someone from another state or country, it may be more difficult to effectively communicate. The other driver may be used to a different insurance process or could even speak a different language. Be aware and sensitive to these differences, while keeping in mind how these differences could affect your claim.

2. Obtain their contact information: Be sure you to obtain the contact and insurance information from the other driver involved in the accident, as well as contact information from any witnesses to the accident. This can be especially important if the at-fault driver was driving a rental vehicle. If you have trouble tracing the driver through the contact information they provided or if they give you incorrect information, noting key details about the vehicle can help you to contact the rental company and obtain their assistance in tracking down the driver.

3. Take photos of the accident scene if possible: It is imperative that you gather as much documentation about the accident as possible. Take photos of the scene if you are able to, along with photos of the damage and injuries. The more information you have, the easier it will be for an investigator or attorney to not only uncover what happened, but to also more effectively argue your claim when the time comes.

4. Seek legal assistance: Cases involving out of state drivers or foreign drivers can be more complex. Always seek the legal assistance of an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible after the accident. Your attorney will assist you in taking the steps necessary to protect your legal rights. If the insurance company representing the other driver proves unwilling to settle, your attorney has the resources to take legal action to obtain the compensation you deserve.

5. Report the accident: Report the accident to the police and then your insurance company. Speak with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible after the accident if you have sustained injuries in the crash. Obtain a copy of the police report when it becomes available and bring it to your consultation with your potential personal injury attorney.

Montlick and Associates, Attorneys at Law: Dedicated Georgia Automobile Accident Attorneys

If you are injured in an automobile accident, the Georgia Car Accident Lawyer at Montlick and Associates, Attorneys at Law, can help you obtain the compensation you deserve. Our firm has over 39 years of experience in the industry and we accept cases across Georgia and in the Southeast. The sooner you act after your car accident, the greater your chances of obtaining a full recovery for your injuries. As such, seek legal assistance as soon as possible. Call Montlick & Associates, Attorneys at Law, 24 hours a day/7 days a week for your Free Consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333). You can also visit us online at and use our Free Case Evaluation Form or 24-hour Live Online Chat.

Category: Auto Accidents

Please Note:
All information provided by our blogs is general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Consult a Montlick attorney for details about your unique situation.