Former Georgia State Senator Killed in Motorcycle Crash
According to WRDW TV, on Thursday, May 7, former Georgia State Senator Joey Brush was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident. The crash occurred on Columbia Road when a car headed east pulled in front of Brush's motorcycle at the intersection with Louisville Road in Columbia County, Georgia. The driver of the car has been deemed at fault for the accident and has been charged with homicide by vehicle in the 2nd degree as well as failure to yield at a stop sign.
Joey Brush, who was sadly killed only minutes from home, is mourned by family members, friends, and the greater Georgia community. He is remembered by many for his smile and positive energy. His accident was the first fatal motorcycle crash of 2015, though the Columbia County Sheriff's Office reports that 21 accidents involving motorcycles have occurred thus far. Before his death, Brush had been planning to meet with the governor about a motorcycle bill he had pushed over the past year. His friend now plans to take up the cause and continue to rally for motorcycle awareness and legislation.
Motorcycle Safety Tips
Although many motorcyclists regularly travel the roadways safely, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that in 2013, roughly 4,668 motorcyclists were killed in traffic accidents. These deaths represent 14 percent of the total highway fatalities that year, despite the fact that motorcycle registrations represent just three percent of all vehicles in the United States.
In light of the dangers associated with motorcycling, the NHTSA offers the following tips for motorists to help avoid fatal crashes with motorcycles:
- Though motorcycles are smaller vehicles, their operators still have the same rights of the road as other motorists. Allow motorcycles the full width of the lane at all times.
- Always use your turn signal when merging or switching lanes.
- Be sure to check all mirrors and blind spots for motorcycles before changing lanes or merging.
- Always pay close attention to the road and never drive impaired, whether by drugs, fatigue, or alcohol.
- Allow more follow distance, at least three or four seconds, when traveling behind a motorcycle to allow the motorcycle more time to maneuver or stop in the event of an emergency.
- If you see a motorcycle with its signal on, use caution; motorcycle signals may not turn off automatically. Do not assume the motorcyclist is turning and instead wait to ensure they are turning before proceeding.
With the help of fellow motorists, the rate of fatal motorcycle crashes could diminish in the coming years, and deaths like that of the esteemed former Georgia State Senator could be avoided.
Put Montlick & Associates' Over 35 Years of Legal Experience to Work For Your Accident Case!
The attorneys at Montlick & Associates fight for the rights of accident victims. With more than thirty years of experience, Montlick & Associates, Attorneys at Law, is a personal injury law firm whose foremost goal is to resolve each of our clients' legal matters in the most reasonable and effective way possible.
Contact Montlick & Associates for your free consultation. During your consultation, you will learn about your legal rights and the steps necessary to protect those rights. The Atlanta Auto Accident Lawyers at Montlick & Associates have made it their goal to be the best personal injury law firm in Atlanta and throughout Georgia.
No matter where you are located our attorneys are just a phone call away, and we will even come to you. Call us 24 hours a day/7 days a week for your Free Consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333). You can also visit us online at www.montlick.com and use our Free Case Evaluation Form or 24-hour Live Online Chat.