Georgia Motorcycle Accidents May Cause Traumatic Brain Injuries
While motorcycle helmets are a vital piece of safety equipment, Georgia motorcycle accidents that cause serious head injuries can occur even when you are using a helmet. Traumatic brain injuries are the most common form of serious injuries in motorcycle collisions because riders frequently are thrown from their motorcycle. Head trauma from a motorcycle crash can range in severity from a minor concussion to potentially fatal impact to the head. When a Georgia motorcyclist suffers head trauma in a motorcycle crash, it is important to seek prompt medical attention because the symptoms of serious traumatic brain injuries may not become evident for hours, days or even weeks.
There are many signs that you may have suffered a brain injury during a motorcycle collision in Georgia, including:
- Mental confusion
- Numbness in one’s extremities
- Slurred speech
- Open head injuries
- Equilibrium issues
- Loss of consciousness
- Impaired coordination
- Dilated pupils
- Unusual sleep patterns
- Problems with hearing or vision
- Atypical personality or behavior changes
- Light sensitivity
- Difficulty concentrating
- Chronic or severe headaches
A study conducted by a researcher from the University of Southern California and funded by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) provides insight into the causes of serious motorcycle accidents that may cause debilitating head injuries. The study revealed the following findings:
- Three-quarters of all motorcycle accidents involve a second vehicle, usually a passenger car.
- A quarter of all motorcycle collisions involve a single vehicle collision with medians and other fixed objects.
- A mere three percent of all motorcycle accidents are caused by vehicle malfunctions.
- Two-thirds of all multi-vehicle motorcycle accidents are caused by the driver of the other vehicle violating the motorcyclist’s right of way.
- The most common cause of motorcycle accidents is the failure to observe motorcyclists.
- Road defects and adverse weather each only account for 2 percent of motorcycle accidents respectively.
These findings reveal that most motorcycle collisions that cause traumatic brain injuries are caused by negligent drivers of passenger vehicles. Because the majority of these collisions are the result of right of way violations and failure to observe a rider, there are a number of forms of negligence that can cause these sorts of driving errors, including:
- Distracted driving
- Alcohol or drug-impaired drivers
- Speeding or weaving through traffic
- Reckless driving
When a motorist engages in these forms of unsafe driving and causes a Georgia motorcycle accident, anyone who is injured or dies may have a right to pursue a personal injury or wrongful death claim. Our experienced Georgia motorcycle accident attorneys at Montlick and Associates are available to provide effective legal representation to clients throughout all of Georgia and the Southeast, including but not limited to Albany, Athens, Atlanta, Augusta, Columbus, Gainesville, Macon, Marietta, Rome, Roswell, Savannah, Smyrna, Valdosta, Warner Robins and all smaller cities and rural areas in the state. We are dedicated to our goal of being the best motorcycle accident attorneys in Atlanta and all of Georgia.
No matter where you are located our attorneys are just a phone call away, and we will even come to you. Call us 24 hours a day/7 days a week for your Free Consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333). You can also visit us online at www.montlick.com and use our Free Case Evaluation Form or 24-hour Live Online Chat.