Bicyclist Tragically Dies in Accident in Valdosta, Georgia
VALDOSTA, GA – According to an online news report at valdostadailytimes.com, a male bicyclist perished in an accident earlier this week at the Interstate 75 Exit bridge, per the Lowndes Has County Sheriff’s Office.*
The crash occurred in the evening and involved a transit van that hit and killed the man on his bicycle.
According to the sheriff, "[t]he driver of the van said she never saw the man on the bicycle.”
The man has been identified as a 17-year-old young man. The Georgia State Patrol is currently conducting an investigation of the accident. There are no further details on the crash at this time.
There are several common causes of bicycle accidents that are due to the position of the bicycle on the roadway relative to the driver who hits into him or her. There are five types of accidents that are associated with the position of the bike or automobile, where are as follows:
- Accidents involving the doors of parked car is a significant contributor to bicycle accidents. When a bicyclist drivers along parked cars, a common accident involves an individual that opens his or her car door, causing the bicyclist to collide into it. Drivers must check to see whether there is a bicyclist or other vehicle that is coming prior to exiting their vehicle.
- Side swipes are another common cause of bicycle accidents. These happen when a driver does not provide the bicyclist enough room when passing.
- Rear-end accidents also contribute to bicycle accidents. Most drivers who rear-end a bicyclist where distracted or tailgating the biker. These accidents are most common at stop signs and when a bicyclist is trying to move to the left in order to avoid parked cars.
- Drivers who cross in front of a bicycle also cause serious bicycle accidents. When drivers are turning left or right, they must be alert as to the presence of pedestrians and bicyclists. This is why bikers must wear bright and reflective clothing to be as visible to drivers as possible.
Accident News is a safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.