Pedestrian Hybrid Beacon to be Installed by Elementary School in Decatur, Georgia
DECATUR, GA. – According to a news report from ajc.com, a pedestrian hybrid beacon (PHB) is about to be installed by an elementary school in Decatur, Georgia. Construction on the PHB, which will sit on Scott Boulevard, is now underway.*
The new PHB will be situated across from Westchester Elementary School and will be installed in approximately the middle of that block of Scott Boulevard. According to PEDSAFE, pedestrian hybrid beacons are often installed in places that see a lot of traffic moving at higher speeds but that do not otherwise qualify for installation of a traffic light. A PHB includes the following features:
- A marked crosswalk on the roadway;
- A pedestrian signal with a pushbutton;
- A countdown viewable by pedestrians as they cross or prepare to cross;
- Overhead lights in both directions; and
- Overhead signs alerting drivers to the crosswalk and their duty to stop on red.
The PHB is activated when a person wanting to cross the roadway pushes the button. The lights overhead on the road will begin flashing for traffic to come to a stop, and the pedestrian will receive a “Walk” signal with a timer to let the person know how long he or she has to safely cross. Right now, Decatur has two existing PHBs, located on Clairemont Avenue and Candler Avenue.
Scott Boulevard has been a source of contention as far as pedestrian traffic, particularly since Westchester Elementary reopened five years ago. The roadway has a speed limit of 40 mph, which is higher than other streets in the city. The roadway also serves has a connection to Interstate 285 and Atlanta.
Funding was approved for the PHB on Scott Boulevard in late 2017. The report did not say how much the PHB costs to construct or when the project will be complete.
Accident News is a safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
Source:https://www.ajc.com/news/local/decatur-begins-building-pedestrian-beacon-across-from-westchester/GCoSlPpPeqCThcBMXf4ngP/ and http://pedbikesafe.org/PEDSAFE/countermeasures_detail.cfm?CM_NUM=53
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.