Police Currently Searching for Hit-and-Run Driver in Barrow County, Georgia
BARROW COUNTY, GA – According to an online news report at wgauradio.com, the Barrow County Sheriff’s Department is currently attempting to find a hit-and-run driver. The accident occurred over the weekend on Highway 316 located due east of Barber Creek Road in Barrow County.*
The driver of the hit-and-run vehicle caused a rear-end collision with a Jeep and then left the scene of the crash. Authorities believe that the suspect vehicle is a red Ford F-150 pickup truck that likely has damage to its front end. It is not clear whether there were any injuries sustained in the accident. There are no further details on the crash at this time. The accident remains under investigation by the local police.
Hit-and-run accidents are an unfortunate fact of life in Georgia, and are of the leading causes of death and injuries in the country. Most states have laws, including Georgia, that require drivers to have a minimum amount of insurance to protect against bodily harm and property damage that can occur in an accident. The main purpose behind requiring drivers to carry automobile insurance is to ensure that an at-fault driver bear the financial responsibility for the accident they caused. These principles are abandoned when a driver who causes an accident flees the scene. There are several reasons why drivers decide to leave the scene of an accident, which are as follows:
- A lack of insurance
- Driving while impaired by drugs and/or alcohol
- Fear of having to face a motorist who is angry
- A fight or flight reaction
- Undocumented status
- Shock over hitting a bicyclist or pedestrian
- Causing another vehicle to drive off of the road
- Felony convictions
- Driving without a license
- Driving with a suspended or revoked license
- Attempting to evade liability when there are no witnesses or cameras
Accident News is a safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.