School Bus and Semi-Truck Collide, Injuries Reported on Georgia Highway 520 in Terrell County, Georgia
TERRELL COUNTY, GA – According to an online news report at walb.com, a school bus was involved in an accident with a tractor-trailer earlier this week in Terrell County, Georgia on Georgia Highway 520 West close to a mobile park.*
The accident occurred on Highway 520 between Parrott and Dawson Avenues right before rush hour traffic. The superintendent of the Terrell County School indicated to reporters that students sustained injuries in the accident. Following the accident, some parents picked up their children for further observation.
There were seventeen individuals on the bus at the time of the accident. Most of the students were in the front and middle of the bus when it sustained a rear-end collision by a tractor-trailer.
All of the students were transported to the School Base Health Center in Dawson, Georgia where they were treated for injuries. Parents had the option of taking them to an area hospital for further medical attention, if necessary. There are no further details on the accident at this time. The crash remains under investigation by the local police.
There are several causes of trucking accidents, which are as follows:
- Distracted driving – whether a trucker is eating, drinking, texting, emailing, talking on a cellphone or fiddling with a radio or GPS device, these behaviors lead to serious and sometimes fatal accidents.
- Speeding. Oftentimes, truckers are pressured by their employers to deliver goods within a short time period, influencing them to go in excess of the speed limit. Speeding reduces a driver’s ability to react in time to avoid an accident, and should be avoided.
- Reckless driving. Truckers are just as at fault for reckless driving as are other motorists. Reckless driving includes speeding, weaving in and out of lanes, and tailgating other drivers.
- Hazardous weather conditions. Ice, rain, sleet, snow and dense fog can lead to poor visibility and slick road conditions, increasing the chance of a serious accident.
Accident News is a safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.