Children Suffer Critical Injuries in Warner Robins Car and Train Accident
WARNER ROBINS, GA – As reported in online news articles published by 11alive.com, 13wmaz.com, and wgxa.tv, two children are in critical condition following an accident involving a car and train.*
According to the Warner Robins Police Traffic Division, three people sustained injuries following a car and train accident that happened at the intersection of Watson Boulevard and Highway 247. A 4-door vehicle was traveling south on Highway 247 and turned right to go west on Watson Boulevard.
The vehicle allegedly drove across the train tracks into the path of a train traveling north. The vehicle was struck, injuring three people, two of which are children who remain in critical condition. Police report that the crossing arms were down at the time the vehicle crossed the train tracks.
The two critically injured children were transported to Navicent Health Medical Center in Macon. The Warner Robins Police Department Traffic Division is continuing to investigate the accident.
The Dangers of Crossing Train Tracks and Tips for Preventing Accidents
Train accidents are often catastrophic as a vehicle, regardless of how big, is no match for a passing train, even when a train is traveling at a relatively slow rate of speed. Many train crossings have arms that come down when a train is approaching and crossing, while some train crossings in rural areas may not have arms that drop down.
Victims of train accidents may feel lucky to be alive, as many train accident injuries are fatal, especially for victims of passenger vehicles that are in the direct path of a passing train. Steps drivers can take to avoid being involved in a train accident at a crossing include, but are certainly not limited to, the following:
- Stop at every train crossing even if the crossing arms are not down, there are no flashing lights, and there is no train in sight;
- When stopping at train crossings, look both ways to ensure no train is coming;
- Never cross train tracks when the crossing arms are extended down;
- Drive slowly when crossing train tracks after confirming no train is in sight; and
- Never use brakes or stop while on train tracks.
Accident News is a safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
Sources:https://www.11alive.com/article/traffic/warnerrobins-train-accident/93-98f09ac8-91af-4aa7-8d44-372250cf14d4 and https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/local/warnerrobins-train-accident/93-98f09ac8-91af-4aa7-8d44-372250cf14d4 and https://wgxa.tv/news/local/police-train-accident-in-warner-robins-blocking-roads
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.