Trucker Dies after Flipping Over on Highway 311 Ramp
WINSTON-SALEM, NC – According to an online news report wxii12.com, a truck driver perished in an accident that occurred earlier this week. The crash happened in the nighttime hours on the northbound Highway 311 ramp that leads to Interstate 40 west.*
The driver of the 18-wheeler, a 48-year-old female, from Greensboro, North Carolina was killed in the accident. The woman crashed her truck into a guardrail on the roadway before it overturned. It is not clear why the initial crash happened. When police arrived at the scene, the woman was outside of the truck while emergency personnel attempted life-saving efforts. The woman was transported to a local hospital where she later perished. Police noted that the ramp was temporarily closed and traffic was diverted to Interstate 40 eastbound prior to entering the ramp.
There are no further details on the accident at this time. The crash remains under investigation by local law enforcement.
There are several causes of tractor-trailer accident, which include the following:
- Driver fatigue. Truckers are often pushed by their employers to get their cargo to their ultimate destination as soon as possible. This often causes truckers to drive long hours, ultimately leading, in some cases, to serious accidents when the trucker falls asleep at the wheel.
- Driving while impaired. Truckers fall prey to the same causes of car accidents, some of which are caused by driver impairment. Drugs and alcohol seriously limit a driver’s coordination, judgment, and reaction time.
- Speeding. Going at an excess rate of speed often leads to serious trucking accidents, as truckers are often pressured to deliver their goods as fast as possible. This influences truck drivers to speed to reach their ultimate destination.
- Distracted driving. Whether a trucker is eating, texting, talking on a cellphone, fiddling with a GPS device or radio, or grooming, these actions can cause serious and sometimes fatal accidents.
Accident News is a safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.