Man Seriously Injured After Being Hit by a Train in Opelika, Alabama
OPELIKA, AL – According to online news reports at wrbl.com and al.com, a man sustained serious injuries after being hit by a train over the past weekend.*
In the early morning hours, emergency personnel responded to the scene of an accident where a male, of Hispanic decent, was struck by a train. The accident involved a CSX train and a male, the accident of which occurred in the wood-line close to the dead end of Dorsey Street.
The man was taken to an area hospital to be treated for severe injuries. He is currently listed as in critical condition.The identification of the victim has not been released at this time. The cause of the train accident is currently being investigated by the local police.
There are several ways in which you can stay safe around trains. They are as follows:
- Always remain alert and do not engage in distractions. Trains can come from either direction and are often quiet. That is why it is critical to obey all signs and signals and to not be distracted while around trains. Distractions to avoid include talking on a cellphone, texting, emailing, and listening to music when around trains.
- Due to the fact that trains are wider than their tracks, do not sit on the edge of a station platform.
- Stand away from the edge of the platform. Always remain at least 3 feet away from a train that is entering or exiting a station.
- Always listen to the directions of the train operator or conductor. Hold onto poles or seats when on a train.
- Be careful when entering and exiting a train. Follow the signs and markings that let you know where it is safe to go across the tracks. Crossing anywhere else is illegal and also highly dangerous.
Accident News is a safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
Sources:https://www.wrbl.com/news/man-in-critical-condition-after-being-struck-by-train-in-opelika/ and https://www.al.com/news/montgomery/2019/08/man-struck-by-train-in-opelika-in-critical-condition.html
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.