Woman and Dog Struck and Killed While Walking on 27th Avenue Southwest
INDIAN RIVER COUNTY, FL — According to an online news report at tcpalm.com, the Florida Highway Patrol has confirmed that a woman and her dog were hit and killed by a minivan while walking on 27th Avenue Southwest.*
In the late evening hours, the woman, aged 58, was going across the intersection of 15thStreet Southwest and 27thAvenue Southwest while walking her dog.
The driver is an 81 year old woman who was heading north on 27th Avenue when her minivan hit the woman, per a report issued by the Florida Highway Patrol. The driver and her 6-year-old passenger were not injured in the accident.
As a result of the impact of the crash, the woman was thrown into the southerly lane of the roadway and died at the scene of the accident, per a Florida Highway Patrol spokesperson.
The woman’s dog also died in the accident. It is not clear at this time whether charges will be filed against the driver. The Florida Highway Patrol is currently investigating the accident. There are no further details on the crash at this time.
Drivers owe pedestrians a duty of care to operate their vehicles in accordance with applicable traffic laws. In essence, drivers must adhere to the rules of the road and exercise reasonable care under the given set of circumstances. A few of the most common factors that contribute to the negligence of the driver are as follows:
- Driving while distracted
- Traveling at an excess rate of speed
- A failure to yield the right of way to pedestrians located within designated crosswalks
- A failure to object traffic signals or signs, including a red light
- A failure to use a turn signal to communicate to pedestrians the direction that the driver intends to go
- Driving carelessly during inclement weather or traffic conditions
- Driving while impaired by drugs and/or alcohol
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.