Automated Speed Detector Cameras Approved in Roswell School Zones
ROSWELL, GA — According to an online news report at patch.com, speeding in school zones in Roswell, Georgia (the “City”) will become even more enforceable following the City Council’s agreement with RedSpeed to install automated speed detection cameras in certain school zones.*
The Roswell Police Department requested that RedSpeed conduct evaluations on speeding at 6 schools in Roswell. RedSpeed is an internet-based system that processes speeding violations and is used by certified peace officers.
The City’s agreements provides that, "the [C]ity has the desire to use the Speed Photo Enforcement System [(the “System)] to monitor and enforce school zone speed, and may, in the future, desire to monitor and enforce red light violations or other traffic movements and to issue citations for traffic violations."
There are other components of the agreement, which are as follows:
- RedSpeed will be installing the System at a number of intersections, in school zones, and grade crossings. The City has the option to add additional quantities of the System as they see fit.
- RedSpeed will operate its System for 24 hours a day, except for maintenance and servicing.
- Certified peace officers will have access to the System to review the violations data.
- The peace officer has the exclusive discretion to issue speeding violations.
- RedSpeed shall collect up to $25 per violation, the fee of which is paid by the violator.
The fees that an individual must pay to the City for violating the City of Roswell Code of Ordinance is $75 for the initial violation and $125 for each subsequent violation.
The agreement said, "Mayor and City Council finds that the number of serious traffic accidents and accident-related fatalities in Georgia have increased significantly in recent years. Driving in excess of the posted speed limit and disregarding traffic control devices within existing School Zones is a contributing factor of said accidents, deaths, and injuries."
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.