Ambulance Involved in Multi-Vehicle Crash in Wilmington, North Carolia
WILMINGTON, NC – According to an online news report at wect.com, a Brunswick County ambulance was involved in a multi-car crash earlier this week at the intersection of Highway 17 and Highway 211.
Per the Deputy Director of Emergency Services in Brunswick County, he indicates that the accident occurred in the evening hours. Three people were injured and transported to New Hanover Regional Medical Center. Two of the injured parties were paramedics that were located inside the ambulance. No patient was in the ambulance at the time of the accident.
The names of the victims of the crash have not been released. The current condition of the victims remains unknown.
There are no further details on the accident at this time. The accident remains under investigation by the local police. There is no word yet as to who was at fault and how many vehicles were involved in the crash.
Emergency vehicles such as ambulances are involved in crashes more often than you may think. Deaths caused by accidents are 4.8 times higher for emergency vehicles than the national average. The reason for accidents is that emergency vehicles often have to exceed the speed limit in order to respond to an accident or crisis, which includes the likelihood of a fatal accident. The following are statistics regarding ambulance accidents:
- Ambulances, on average, are involved in about 6,500 crashes each year
- 35% of accidents with ambulances resulted in injuries or fatalities to at least 1 individual involved in the crash.
- On an annual basis, about 600 individuals are injured in roughly 1,500 ambulance-related accidents.
- Over 60% of people who sustained fatal injuries in ambulance accidents were located within a passenger vehicle. More than 20% were passengers in the ambulance, and 4% were ambulance drivers.
- Roughly 60% of accidents involving ambulance occur during an emergency event.
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.