Deputies Injured and One Man Dies in Haralson County, Georgia Crash
BUCHANAN, GA – According to an online news report at 11alive.com, local law enforcement personnel are investigating an accident that killed one man and injured two Haralson County deputies.*
Per the Haralson County Sheriff’s Office, two deputies were on their way to an emergency call with their siren and lights on. During this time, they slammed into another vehicle, causing the driver to pass away at the scene. The two deputies only sustained minor, non-life threatening injuries.
The crash occurred in the late afternoon earlier this week at the intersection of Georgia Highway 120 and Highway 27 in Buchanan, Georgia. The name of the deceased has not yet been released to the public. The two deputies sustained non-life threatening injuries and were transported to Tanner Medical Center in Carrollton, Georgia. There are no further details on the accident at this time. The crash remains under investigation by the local police.
According to a study of emergency vehicle accidents in the United States, “motor vehicle crashes involving emergency vehicles, such as police cars, fire trucks, and ambulances, have been recognized as a serious problem nationwide.” Per the National Highway Safety Administration, there were nearly 560 law enforcement officers who died during 2000 and 2008. Furthermore, police officers have about double the rate of vehicular accidents per one million automobiles driven by the general public.
Studies indicate that there are several causes of emergency vehicle accidents, which include the following:
- Physical and emotional stress
- Driving long hours and having shifts that are irregular
- Lack of the recognition of emergency vehicles by other motorists
- Lack of training and qualifications
- Intersections in urban areas that are complicated
- Risky driving
- High volumes of traffic in urbanized areas
- Mechanical malfunctions in emergency vehicles
- Hazardous road conditions and inclement weather
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
Source:https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0018720818786132 and https://www.11alive.com/article/traffic/haralson-county-deputies-responding-to-call-injured-in-crash-1-other-killed/85-a5b21301-851b-4c36-95db-e0f1cc0b0183
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.