Two Deputies and One Man Killed in Intersection Accident in Buchanan, Georgia
BUCHANAN, GA – According to an online news report at fox5atlanta, a man perished and two deputies from Haralson County were injured in an accident that occurred in Buchanan.*
Per investigators, the deputies were en route to an emergency call in the late afternoon earlier this week. That is when law enforcement notes that the patrol car driven by the deputies crashed into a passenger vehicle at the intersection of Georgia Highway 120 and Highway 27. The man in the passenger vehicle died at the scene of the crash. This man has not been publicly identified at this time. The deputies were transported to a local hospital where they were treated for non-life threatening injuries. The Georgia State Patrol is currently conducting an investigation of the accident.
According to safety.fhwa.gov, there are 3 million miles of local roads in the United States that span 38,000 counties, villages, towns, cities and tribal governments. One of the most pressing traffic safety issues that are common on roads across the nation are accidents that occur at intersections. Intersections can vary in terms of shape and size and the number of turning lanes. In fact, 20% of all traffic deaths occur at intersections.
Per the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials’ A Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets, “an intersection is defined as the general area where two or more highways join or cross, including the roadway and roadside facilities for traffic movements within the area.” There are several types of intersection accidents, which include the following:
- Accidents between oncoming automobiles, especially when one driver is attempting to turn left into the path of another driver.
- Side impact accidents, or T-bone crashes. These types of crashes commonly involve a driver who is attempting to beat a red light or runs through a stop sign without stopping.
- Rear-end accidents. These typically occur at intersections when a driver is distracted and not paying attention to the vehicle in front of them.
- Accidents that involve pedestrians or bicyclists that are attempting to cross the roadway.
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
Source:http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/man-killed-deputies-hospitalized-after-car-crash and https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/local_rural/training/fhwasa1108/fhwasa1108.pdf
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.