Man Dies in Motorcycle Accident in Crawford County, Georgia
CRAWFORD COUNTY, GA – As reported in an online news article published by wgxa.tv, a man sustained fatal injuries in a single motorcycle accident.*
According to the Crawford County Sheriff’s Office, a man was killed in a morning motorcycle accident. Reports indicate the crash happened shortly after 7:30 a.m. at the intersection of Marshall Mill Road and Lower Hartley Bridge Road.
The motorcyclist struck a fence, and the Deputy Coroner states that the motorcyclist was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident.
Both the Crawford County Sheriff’s Office and the Georgia State Patrol (GSP) are continuing to investigate the accident. As such, the victim’s identity has not been released.
Common Reasons Why Motorcyclists Lose Control of Their Motorcycles
In 2017, 139 motorcyclists were killed in the state of Georgia. Of these fatal accidents, many involved only one motorcyclist who lost control of his or her motorcycle. Losing control of a motorcycle is a common occurrence and happens for a variety of reasons, which include, among others, the following:
- Inexperience operating a motorcycle;
- Overestimating experience level;
- Poor weather conditions (rain, sleet, snow, ice, and high winds, etc.);
- Attempting to avoid an accident with another vehicle or attempting to avoid striking an object in the roadway, such as debris;
- Driving while tired;
- Driving late at night or early in the morning when it is dark outside; and
- Driving while intoxicated.
Injuries resulting from a motorcycle accident involving a motorcyclist who has lost control can be catastrophic and fatal. When a motorcyclist survives a collision after losing control of his or her motorcycle, the motorcyclist may experience severe injuries that include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Shattered or fractured bones;
- Fractured skull, concussions, and other head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries (TBIs);
- Neck, back and spinal cord injuries (which may result in paralysis);
- Open wounds from shrapnel;
- Internal bleeding;
- Internal organ damage;
- Burns (in cases where a motorcycle catches fire); and
- Soft tissue orthopedic injuries (torn cartilage, torn muscles, and damaged ligaments or tendons).
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
Sources:https://wgxa.tv/news/local/fatal-motorcycle-accident-in-crawford-county and https://www.wtvm.com/2019/06/25/ala-ga-rank-top-states-with-highest-motorcycle-fatality-rate/
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.