One Person is in Critical Condition Following Opelika Motorcycle and Car Accident
OPELIKA, GEORGIA – As reported in an online news article published by oanow.com, one person remains in critical condition following a late-evening motorcycle accident on I-85.*
According to the Opelika Police Department, a motorcyclist is in critical condition following a crash on I-85 involving a passenger vehicle. The accident happened just after 10:00 p.m. on northbound I-85 near mile marker 63. No additional details about the accident are available aside from the fact that the motorcycle collided with a passenger vehicle.
The motorcyclist sustained severe injuries and was transported by life flight to Midtown Medical Center in Columbus, Georgia, where he remains in critical condition. The occupants of the passenger vehicle did not report any injuries.
The accident remains under investigation and authorities are asking anyone with information to come forward.
Common Causes of Highway Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycles are extremely popular in Georgia, and there have been numerous injuries and fatalities resulting from highway motorcycle accidents in recent years, with the numbers continuing to rise. Sharing the road is always a topic of concern when it comes to motorcycle accidents and ensuring all motorists feel safe on streets and highways.
When motorcycle accidents happen, the motorcyclist is at risk of sustaining permanent and sometimes fatal injuries. Common causes of highway motorcycle accidents that occur regularly in Georgia include, among others, the following:
- Failure to yield;
- Failure to signal when changing lanes;
- Coming to an abrupt stop;
- Poor weather conditions;
- Inattentive driving (i.e., texting or talking on a hand-held phone while behind the wheel);
- Inexperienced driving;
- Poor visibility;
- Drowsy driving or falling asleep at the wheel; and
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Any motorcyclist who survives an accident may feel lucky to be alive, especially if the accident happened on a highway at a high rate of speed.
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.