Fatal Accident Occurs on Interstate 10 in Madison County, Florida
MADISON COUNTY, FL – According to an online news report at wctv.com, the Florida Highway Patrol has reported that there was a fatal accident on Interstate 10 east close to mile marker 260 in Madison County.*
The accident occurred in the early afternoon. Police are urging drivers to exercise caution in the accident area, as there was a roadblock. There is no further information at this time. The accident remains under investigation by the Florida Highway Patrol.
According to the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) department, the main cause of deadly and injury-related accidents in Florida is driving carelessly, which comprises over 18% of deadly accidents and nearly 40% of accidents involving injuries. Some of the other major causes of accidents in Florida, as indicated by the FLHSMV, is driving under the influence, which comprises nearly 15% of fatal accidents and approximately 2% of accidents involving injuries. A failure to yield the right of way comprises about 12% of fatal accidents and 17% of crashes involving injuries. The next leading cause of accidents is going at an excess rate of speed. This comprises nearly 7% of fatal accidents and 2% of crashes involving injuries. Lastly, distracted driving is also a leading cause of accidents, representing about 0.4% of fatal accidents and 1% of crashes involving injuries.
Generally speaking, the potential causes of accidents in Florida involve the following:
- Hazardous road conditions such as potholes
- Vehicular defects
- Mechanical failures
- Going at an excessive rate of speed
- Road rage and driving aggressively, such as abruptly changing lanes and speeding
- Fatigued driving
- Inclement weather such as rain, hail, and dense fog
- Impaired driving, whether due to alcohol, drugs or both
- Driver medical impairments such as a heart attack, poor vision or illness
- Distracted driving, such as texting, reading, emailing, grooming, putting on makeup and fiddling with the radio or GPS device
- Poor lighting
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.