Florida Counties Account for a Significant Percentage of all Car Accidents in 2017
FLORIDA – According to an online news article published by patch.com, Miami, Broward, and Orange Counties had the highest number of traffic accidents in 2017.*
Florida is known for having a substantial number of traffic accidents involving not only vehicles but also pedestrians and bicyclists. Data released by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shows that there was a total of 388,032 car accidents in the state of Florida in 2017. A large number of these accidents happened in Miami, Broward and Orange Counties.
Miami County saw a total of 63,157 car accidents in 2017, while Broward County saw a total of 40,324 car accidents. While the total number of accidents Orange County saw in 2017 is not identified in the article, the Orlando and Orange County metropolitan areas grew by approximately 60,000 residents. As such, the increased population undoubtedly contributed to the large number of accidents in 2017.
Additional Florida Crash Statistics for 2017
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles revealed additional crash data that may help drivers to avoid certain situations that increase the chances of an accident happening. The additional data on Florida crashes in 2017 includes the following:
- Most car accidents in 2017 happened in the month of March at 37,395;
- Drivers between the ages of 25 and 34 were most likely to be involved in a car accident;
- Most car accidents happened on Fridays;
- 67.86 percent of car accidents happened during the daytime; and
- The highest number of car accidents happened between the hours of 4:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Causes of Florida car accidents are wide-ranging, but many involve distracted driving, poor weather conditions, and an aging Floridian population. The number of retired residents in Florida has proven to be a contributing factor to car accidents.
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.