$15 Million Settlement Reached in Fatal 2016 Sinkhole Auto Accident Lawsuit
SAN ANTONIO – TX – According to an online news report at ncadvertiser.com, an off-duty sheriff’s deputy perished and other individuals were injured when 2 automobiles plunged into a sinkhole filled with water. The family of the deputy who was killed will share a $15 million settlement amount awarded as a result of the accident.*
The sheriff deputy perished when her vehicle plunged into a sinkhole that occurred along a street in San Antonio, Texas. The family of the deceased woman will share in a $15 million settlement amount due to the woman’s wrongful death.
According to the San Antonio Express-News, the board of the San Antonio Water System approved the settlement terms however, a judge must approve the agreement.
The family of the deceased deputy as well as a pedestrian and other motorist are being compensated as part of the settlement. The pedestrian and the other motorist also fell into the sinkhole, resulting in serious injuries.
The cause of the sinkhole is believed to be due to a failed sewer line that resulted in the erosion of the ground underneath the roadway. The accident occurred back in December of 2016. Those who will be responsible for funding the settlement is a construction company and engineering firm that worked in tandem o install the faulty sewer line.
Sinkholes are common in the southeast due to human activities and the natural topography of the area. Most of the topography of Georgia and Florida for instance, is comprised of sand and clay that cover limestone. While unpredictable, there may be certain warning signs of an impending sinkhole. These are as follows:
- The splintering of the ground
- Dead or dried vegetation
- Excessive standing water
- Windows and doors that do not shut properly
- The exposure of previously hidden tree roots
- Fixtures such as fences, trees or anything else on the ground that starts to lean to one side
- Water stains that are unusual
- Loud noises caused by the pulling apart of a house that begins to sink
Accident News is a safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com -click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.