Tragic, Fatal Head-On Accident on Highway 82 in Bibb County, Alabama
BIBB COUNTY, AL – According to an online news report at wrbc.com, law enforcement are conducting an investigation of a fatal head-on crash in Bibb County, Alabama.*
According to a senior trooper with the Alabama Highway Patrol, the accident occurred in the late afternoon on Highway 82 close to mile marker 93.
A person perished in the accident and another individual was taken by medical helicopter from the accident scene. The name and ages of the victims have not been released at this time. The crash remains under investigation. There are no further details on the accident.
One of the most unfortunate aspects of head-on collisions is that most of them could have been avoided, as they are often caused by drivers who are impaired or distracted. The reasons for head-on collisions are as follows:
- Drowsy driving. This is extremely dangerous as it involves a driver who falls asleep at the wheel or is too tired to drive properly. Drowsy driving is one of the leading causes of head-on collisions as it occurs when a driver, due to fatigue, veers over into the opposite lane of traffic and hits a vehicle head-on.
- Driving while impaired. Using alcohol or drugs can seriously impair a motorist’s ability to exercise control over his or her vehicle, potentially causing the driver to swerve into oncoming traffic.
- Driving while distracted. Drivers who engage in distractions such as eating, texting, talking on their phones or occupants of a vehicle, putting on makeup, and grooming are likely to be involved in an accident because they are not paying attention to the roadway and can veer into the opposite lane of traffic. This often results in a head-on crash.
- Reckless or aggressive driving. Swerving in and out of traffic, speeding, and driving aggressively are all contributing factors in causing serious and sometimes fatal accidents.
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.