Tragic, Fatal Pedestrian Accident on Airport Road in Duval County, Florida
DUVAL COUNTY, FL – According to an online news report at firstcoastnews.com, the Florida Highway Patrol recently released the details of a deadly accident that caused the death of a pedestrian in Duval County, Florida.*
The accident happened at Duval Road and Airport Road early in the morning, as indicated by the Florida Highway Patrol official press release.
According to Florida Highway Patrol state troopers, the driver of a Honda CR-V was a woman, aged 60, who was going eastbound on Airport Road in the travel lane of the roadway.
A 60-year-old man who has not been identified, was going across the roadway diagonally from northbound to southbound. The man was not located within a crosswalk at the time of the crash. The pedestrian was headed toward Duval Road, where the 60-year-old female driver was unable to stop in time to avoid hitting the man who was walking in the travel lane of the roadway. The accident does not appear to have involved drug or alcohol use. The driver was wearing her seat belt at the time of the crash. There are no further details on the accident at this time. The crash remains under investigation by the local police.
Drivers must exercise reasonable care when driving, as failing to do so can constitute negligence on their part. There are a number of reasons why drivers are involved in pedestrian accidents, which are as follows:
- Driving while distracted. Drivers who are eating, texting, grooming, fiddling with a radio or GPS system, talking to passengers or putting on make-up can cause serious and sometimes fatal pedestrian accidents.
- Going at an excess rate of speed. Drivers who speed are often unable to stop in time to avoid striking a pedestrian in their path.
- Not yielding to pedestrians in designated crosswalks. Drivers who fail to yield to pedestrians in designated crosswalks often cause accidents that result in serious and sometimes fatal injuries.
- Not obeying traffic signs and signals. Drivers that fail to stop at a stop sign or red light can cause serious pedestrian accidents.
- Driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs. Drivers who choose to get behind the wheel after drinking and/or taking drugs cause deadly pedestrian accidents, as their judgement is impaired, making it hard to stop in time to avoid a crash.
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.