Pedestrian Tragically Dies in Duval County Accident
DUVAL COUNTY, FL – According to an online news report at firstcoastnews.com, a pedestrian died in a Duval County crash.*
A pedestrian was struck and killed on Airport Road early in the morning. According to the Florida Highway Patrol, it released the details of the deadly accident that killed a pedestrian in Duval County earlier this week.
A driver of a Honda CR-V was a woman, aged 60, who was driving eastbound on Airport Road inside the travel lane, according to troopers from the Florida Highway Patrol.
A man, aged 60, who has yet to be identified, was crossing the roadway diagonally from north to south. He was not in a designated crosswalk as he was heading toward Duval Road.
The Florida Highway Patrol indicates that the driver was unable to avoid striking the man in the travel lane.
Troopers state that alcohol was not a factor in the crash. The driver was wearing a seat belt and was uninjured. There are no further details on the accident at this time. The crash remains under investigation by local authorities.
No one expects to be struck by a car while walking. However, it does happen, and quite frequently in Florida. Florida is one of the most dangerous states for pedestrians given that there are many people who travel by foot as a result of the often sunny and warm weather.
Drivers have a duty of care to avoid hitting pedestrians when behind the wheel. Some of the most common reasons drivers hit pedestrians are as follows:
- Inclement weather such as heavy rain and dense fog
- Distracted driving. Many drivers who hit pedestrians are engaging in distracting behavior such as eating, drinking, growing, texting, emailing, or fiddling with the radio or GPS system.
- Traffic slowdowns
- Failing to stop at a stop sign
- Driving while impaired.
- A loss of vehicle control
- Failing to yield to pedestrians who are in designated crosswalks
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.