Injured? Dial #WIN or #946 from your cellphone for your free consultation or call 1-800-LAW-NEED.
Call Us 24/7
1-800-LAW-NEED
( 1-800-529-6333 )

Fire Officials: Housefire in Redding, California, Caused by Lithium-Ion Battery


August 06, 2019

REDDING, CA. – According to a news report posted at redding.com, fire officials in Redding, California, say that a recent housefire in the city was caused by a lithium-ion battery. The battery had been left on the charger, and it seems to have overheated and ignited, according to the news report. Fire officials are warning people to be careful with these types of batteries.* 

The fire occurred late in the evening in the 2100 block of Sophy Place in Redding. The Redding Fire Department and the Redding Record Searchlight report that firefighters were called to a home in this area at about 10:15 p.m. due to a fire. The location of the home was east of Victor Avenue. Firefighters arrived to find the garage of the home ablaze.

Firefighters were able to control the flames within about 15 minutes, according to the report, and officials began investigating possible causes. Officials were able to determine that a lithium-ion battery in the garage was the probable source of the fire. They said that the battery had been left on a plugged-in charger, and it was sitting on a workbench in the garage. 

No injuries were reported from the fire, but property damage did occur. Fire officials estimated damage to the garage and its content to be approximately $200,000. 

The Redding Fire Department said that people should use caution with these batteries, which are found in electronic devices like cell phones, laptops, and e-cigarettes. The batteries should not be unattended while they are charging, officials said, and they need to be removed from chargers after they are fully charged. 

“Even though some batteries are intended to shut off when fully charged, do not get complacent, and always unplug them before leaving or once a full charge has been achieved,” said the fire department in a statement. 

Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes.  To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.

Source:https://www.redding.com/story/news/2019/07/30/charging-battery-blamed-causing-redding-fire/1867577001/

* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.

Category: Accident News

Please Note:
Many of our blog articles discuss the law. All information provided about the law is very general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Every situation is different, and should be analyzed by a lawyer who can provide individualized advice based on the facts involved in your unique situation, and a consideration of all of the nuances of the statutes and case law that apply at the time.