Pedestrian Struck By At Least One Vehicle in Gibsonton Earlier this Week
HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, FL – According to an online news report at wfla.com, a pedestrian was transported by medical helicopter to an area hospital after being struck by at least one automobile in Gibsonton earlier this week.*
A pedestrian involved in an accident was airlifted to an area hospital after being struck by at least one vehicle. The Florida Highway Patrol was dispatched to the scene of the accident which occurred on United States Highway 41 and Big Bend Road right before 7 a.m. It is not clear whether anyone else sustained injuries.
The accident caused all lanes of United States Highway 41 to be closed. Drivers were urged to pursue alternative routes. At the time of the accident, Interstate 75 was running smoothly and was a plausible alternative route for drivers.
There are no further details on the accident at this time. The crash remains under investigation by the local police. The status of the injured party is currently unknown.
There are several causes of pedestrian accidents in Florida. These include the following:
- Distracted walking. Pedestrians who walk while texting, emailing, talking on their cellphones, listening to music, eating or drinking are much more likely to be involved in a serious or sometimes fatal pedestrian accident.
- Jaywalking. While jaywalking is not illegal in Florida, it is still a practice that leads to serious injuries and even death. Always walk at a designated crosswalk in order to be most visible to drivers.
- Intoxication. Walking while impaired is a serious problem and leads to injuries and death each year.
- Inclement weather. Bad weather can lead to diminished visibility, which is why it is recommended that pedestrians exercise due caution when walking during poor weather conditions. Poor weather conditions include rain, snow and dense fog.
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.