Montlick and Associates, Attorney at Law, Offer the Following Motorcycle Accident Prevention Tips
Montlick and Associates, Attorney at Law, Offer the Following Motorcycle Accident Prevention Tips to Reduce your Chances of being Involved in a Crash
When a motorcycle crash occurs, there is a significant chance that it will result in severe injuries due to the fact that motorcycles do not offer the same protections as passenger vehicles, such as seat belts, airbags and other safety features. However, there are several tips that motorcyclists can follow to reduce their risk of being involved in an accident.
The following are safety tips you should follow to avoid a motorcycle crash:
- Do not speed. The faster you ride, the less time you have to respond to potential hazards such as other vehicles, debris in the roadway, poor road conditions, and inclement weather that make it harder for you to stop.
- Always look behind you when you are at an intersection. Motorcycles are commonly rear-ended at intersections and crosswalks or to let animals pass in the roadway. That is why you should look behind you and put your motorcycle in gear should you need to avoid being rear-ended by the car in back of you.
- Do not ride between traffic and parked cars. This is because (1) a driver can open his or her door and you can hit into it; (2) a vehicle can pull out of a parking spot and strike you; and (3) a pedestrian could step right out in front of you leading to a crash.
- Do not drink and bike. Alcohol slows down your time to react and impairs your judgement, which is why you should never drink alcohol before riding. This is one of the leading causes of motorcycle accidents.
- Regularly maintain your bike. The following are components you should regularly check and maintain: (1) brakes; (2) engine; (3) head lights; (4) tires; and (5) turn signals.
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.