Teen Loses Hand in Fireworks Accident in Dalton, Tennessee
DALTON, TN. – According to an online news story reported at wrcbtv.com, a teenager lost his hand because of a fireworks accident that happened in Dalton, Tennessee. A firework somehow went off in the teen’s hand as he was celebrating the Fourth of July with his friends.*
The incident happened on the evening of Independence Day, when a recent high school graduate of Christian Heritage School and his friends were celebrating the holiday. Somehow, a firework exploded in the young man’s hand, according to WRCB, causing him severe injuries.
Emergency responders rushed him to Erlanger Hospital, where he underwent surgery. WRCB reports that the teenager lost three fingers on his left hand in the blast, and his whole hand had to be amputated during surgery.
The details of the incident were not fully reported, so it is not clear what type of firework was involved, or how it went off in the teen’s hand. Despite the serious injury he suffered, the teenager says that he is thankful it was not worse, and he is grateful for everyone who has reached out to him, prayed for him, and offered support.
The teen’s mother is cautioning people to not let their children have fireworks.
“It’s not for the kids, so leave it for the adults,” she said. “And it’s really not for adults because it can happen to anybody.”
A friend of the teen’s set up a GoFundMe page to help his family pay for medical expenses and a prosthetic hand. The page says, “If you know Alex, you know his heart, his grit and most importantly, his strength. He’s a fighter.”
Accident News is a safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.