A Brief Guide to the Types of Intersection Car Accidents
Intersections are common locations of vehicle accidents, as the meeting of two or more roadways creates additional opportunities for collisions. These accidents tend to occur in some of the same ways and because of similar events.*
Kinds of Intersection Accidents
Intersection accidents can happen in several ways. Common intersection accidents include the following:
- T-Bone Accidents – T-bone accidents happen often at intersections and usually involve one driver missing a traffic light or signal and entering an intersection at the same time as a vehicle that has the right-of-way. The front of one of the vehicles will then crash into the side of one of the vehicles.
- Rear-End Accidents – Rear-end accidents tend to happen at intersections when a vehicle is stopped or slowing for a traffic light or traffic signal, and a driver behind is not paying attention or is following too closely.
- Head-On Accidents – Head-on accidents can occur at intersections if drivers try to perform a turn in the path of another vehicle. As a vehicle crosses the centerline to try to turn left, it can end up colliding with another oncoming vehicle.
Reasons for Intersection Accidents
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says that 90 percent of all vehicle accidents taking place at intersections are the fault of drivers. Intersection accidents frequently occur because drivers do the following:
- Fail to observe all of their surroundings;
- Make incorrect assumptions about other drivers’ actions;
- Perform an illegal driving maneuver;
- Drive while distracted;
- Incorrectly gauge other drivers’ speeds and distances between vehicles.
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.