A Bicyclist Dies After Being Struck by a Vehicle in Florence County
FLORENCE COUNTY, SC – According to an online news report at wmbfnews.com, a bicyclist tragically died in a traffic accident earlier this week in Florence County, South Carolina.*
According to a corporal with the South Carolina Highway Patrol, the accident occurred in the late evening on Huggins Road, close to Lake City.
According to the corporal, a sports utility vehicle and a bicyclist were going in a westerly direction on Huggins Road when they collided. The driver of the sports utility vehicle was unharmed in the accident. Tragically, the bicyclist died upon impact.
Charges are not expected to be filed as the biker was in the road at night without reflective clothing and lights to warn other drivers as it their presence.
The identification of the bicyclist has not been released to the public. The South Carolina Highway Patrol is currently investigating the accident. There are no further details on the accident at this time.
As roadways increasingly become congested, pollution issues continue to be an issue, and costs of operating an automobile increases, many people seek to live more healthy and eco-friendly lives. This means that the amount of bicyclists on the roads increases. Due to this fact, the number of accidents involving bicycles rise. Notwithstanding, there are several safety precautions that bikers can take to stay safe. These are as follows:
- Wear a helmet at all times
- Wear clothing that is bright and visible to motorists
- Use front and rear lights
- Wear reflective clothing, especially if biking at night
- Keep a safe distance from other vehicles and objects
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Do not ride on a sidewalk
- Follow the local traffic laws
- Do not ride on the opposite side of traffic
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.